Working Paper 168 - Competition and Market Structure in the Zambian Banking Sector
AbstractStudies on banking competition in developing countries, and especially in Africa, are sparse. This study evaluates the degree of competition in the Zambian banking sector in the wake of dynamic market shifts induced by entry of new foreign banks and privatisation of the state-owned bank. Using a detailed bank-level panel data set, we measure competition using the H-statistic and the time varying Lerner index. The estimation of Lerner index provides the first ever documented empirical evidence on the evolution of competition in the Zambian industry. This is important in assessing foreign influence on competitiveness. For the H-statistic, results show that Zambian banks earned their revenue under conditions of monopolistic competition. This finding is corroborated by the estimate of the Lerner index which suggests that the degree of competitiveness may not be as low as previously understood. The study shows that risk taking, revenue diversity and regulatory intensity are all important determinants of market power. Tight monetary policy is also found to strengthen the banks’ exercise of market power. Generally, the findings lend support to previous research suggesting that increased foreign bank penetration and divestiture of state ownership in banking can heighten competitive pressures in the banking sector. Thus, the main policy lessons drawn from the analysis is that competitive conditions could be further enhanced by easing regulatory impediments and in the long-run, allowing more foreign bank participation could spur competitive conduct in the industry.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by African Development Bank in its series Working Paper Series with number 447.
Date of creation: 26 Feb 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 15 Avenue du Ghana P.O.Box 323-1002 Tunis-Belvedère, Tunisia
Phone: (+216) 71 10 39 00
Fax: (225) 21.77.53
Web page: http://www.afdb.org/en/knowledge/publications/
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AFR-2013-03-09 (Africa)
- NEP-ALL-2013-03-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2013-03-09 (Banking)
- NEP-COM-2013-03-09 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-CWA-2013-03-09 (Central & Western Asia)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anzoategui Diego & Martinez Peria Maria S. & Rocha Roberto R, 2010.
"Bank Competition in the Middle East and Northern Africa Region,"
Review of Middle East Economics and Finance,
De Gruyter, vol. 6(2), pages 26-48, November.
- Anzoategui, Diego & Soledad Martinez Peria, Maria & Rocha,Roberto, 2010. "Bank competition in the Middle East and northern Africa region," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5363, The World Bank.
- Beck, Thorsten & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Maksimovic, Vojislav, 2004.
"Bank Competition and Access to Finance: International Evidence,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 36(3), pages 627-48, June.
- Thorsten Beck & Asli Demirgüç-Kunt & Vojislav Maksimovic, 2004. "Bank competition and access to finance: international evidence," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 627-654.
- Francisco Pérez García & Joaquín Maudos Villarroya & Juan Francisco Fernández de Guevara Radoselovics, 2002.
"Market Power In European Banking Sectors,"
Working Papers. Serie EC
2002-05, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Lau, Lawrence J., 1982. "On identifying the degree of competitiveness from industry price and output data," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 10(1-2), pages 93-99.
- Petersen, Mitchell A & Rajan, Raghuram G, 1995.
"The Effect of Credit Market Competition on Lending Relationships,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 110(2), pages 407-43, May.
- Mitchell A. Petersen & Raghuram G. Rajan, 1994. "The Effect of Credit Market Competition on Lending Relationships," NBER Working Papers 4921, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rochet, Jean-Charles, 1992. "Capital requirements and the behaviour of commercial banks," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 1137-1170, June.
- Shaffer, Sherrill, 1983. "Non-structural measures of competition : Toward a synthesis of alternatives," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 12(3-4), pages 349-353.
- Gaston Gelos & Jorge Roldos, 2002.
"Consolidation and Market Structure in Emerging Market Banking Systems,"
IMF Working Papers
02/186, International Monetary Fund.
- Gelos, R. G. & Roldos, Jorge, 2004. "Consolidation and market structure in emerging market banking systems," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 39-59, March.
- Manthos D. Delis & K. Christos Staikouras & Panagiotis T. Varlagas, 2008.
"On the Measurement of Market Power in the Banking Industry,"
Journal of Business Finance & Accounting,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(7-8), pages 1023-1047.
- Delis, Manthos D & Staikouras, Christos & Varlagas, Panagiotis, 2008. "On the measurement of market power in the banking industry," MPRA Paper 14038, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Coccorese, Paolo, 2009. "Market power in local banking monopolies," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(7), pages 1196-1210, July.
- Baumol, William J, 1982. "Contestable Markets: An Uprising in the Theory of Industry Structure," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(1), pages 1-15, March.
- Chuling Chen, 2009. "Bank Efficiency in Sub-Saharan African Middle Income Countries," IMF Working Papers 09/14, International Monetary Fund.
- Carol Ann Northcott, 2004. "Competition in Banking: A Review of the Literature," Working Papers 04-24, Bank of Canada.
- Arellano, Manuel, 2003. "Panel Data Econometrics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199245291.
- Angelini, Paolo & Cetorelli, Nicola, 2003. " The Effects of Regulatory Reform on Competition in the Banking Industry," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 35(5), pages 663-84, October.
- Juan Fernández De Guevara & Joaquín Maudos, 2007. "Explanatory Factors Of Market Power In The Banking System," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 75(3), pages 275-296, 06.
- Nicola Cetorelli, 1999. "Competitive analysis in banking: appraisal of the methodologies," Economic Perspectives, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, issue Q I, pages 2-15.
- J.A. Bikker & K. Haaf, 2001.
"Competition, Concentration and their Relationship: an EmpiricalAnalysis of the Banking Industry,"
DNB Staff Reports (discontinued)
68, Netherlands Central Bank.
- Bikker, Jacob A. & Haaf, Katharina, 2002. "Competition, concentration and their relationship: An empirical analysis of the banking industry," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(11), pages 2191-2214, November.
- J.A. Bikker & K. Haaf, 2000. "Competition, concentration and their relationship: an empirical analysis of the banking industry," Research Series Supervision (discontinued) 30, Netherlands Central Bank, Directorate Supervision.
- Yeyati, Eduardo Levy & Micco, Alejandro, 2007.
"Concentration and foreign penetration in Latin American banking sectors: Impact on competition and risk,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 1633-1647, June.
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati & Alejandro Micco, 2003. "Concentration and Foreign Penetration in Latin American Banking Sectors: Impact on Competition and Risk," Business School Working Papers cinco, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati & Alejandro Micco, 2003. "Concentration and Foreign Penetration in Latin American Banking Sectors: Impact on Competition and Risk," Research Department Publications 4353, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Daniel Hoechle, 2007. "Robust standard errors for panel regressions with cross-sectional dependence," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 7(3), pages 281-312, September.
- Q.q. anthony Aboagye & S.k. Akoena & T.o. Antwi-asare & A.f. Gockel, 2008. "Explaining The Market Power Of Ghanaian Banks," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 76(4), pages 569-585, December.
- Iwata, Gyoichi, 1974. "Measurement of Conjectural Variations in Oligopoly," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 42(5), pages 947-66, September.
- Molyneux, Phil & Lloyd-Williams, D. M. & Thornton, John, 1994. "Competitive conditions in european banking," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 445-459, May.
- Semih Yildirim & George C. Philippatos, 2003. "Competition And Contestability In Central And Eastern European Banking Markets," Finance 0310004, EconWPA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Adeleke Oluwole Salami).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.