Competition And Contestability In Central And Eastern European Banking Markets
AbstractThis abstract will be reformatted upon submission. You don't need to format for line-breaks here!!!!! This will be a new paragraph but you can't indent - sorry. This study analyzes the evolution of competitive conditions in the Banking industries of fourteen Central and Eastern European (CEE) transition economies using firm-level data. The results of the competition analysis suggest that the banking markets of CEE countries cannot be characterized by the bipolar cases of either perfect competition or monopoly over 1993-2000 except for FYR of Macedonia and Slovakia. That is, banks earned their revenues as if operating under conditions of monopolistic competition in that period. Furthermore, the cross-sectional analysis of competitive structure reveals initially a decreasing trend between 1993 and 1996 and a subsequent increasing trend in competitive conditions after 1996. Large banks in transition countries operate in a relatively more competitive environment compared to small banks, or in other words, competition is lower in local markets compared to national and international markets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Finance with number 0310004.
Date of creation: 02 Oct 2003
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document -
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://188.8.131.52
Bank Competition; Contestability; Transition Economies;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- P30 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Institutions and Their Transitions - - - General
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- D40 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Molyneux, Phil & Lloyd-Williams, D. M. & Thornton, John, 1994. "Competitive conditions in european banking," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 445-459, May.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Panzar, John C & Rosse, James N, 1987. "Testing for "Monopoly" Equilibrium," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(4), pages 443-56, June.
- Hondroyiannis, George & Lolos, Sarantis & Papapetrou, Evangelia, 1999. "Assessing competitive conditions in the Greek banking system," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 377-391, November.
- J.A. Bikker & J.M. Groeneveld, 1998. "Competition and Concentration in the EU Banking Industry," Research Series Supervision (discontinued) 8, Netherlands Central Bank, Directorate Supervision.
- Demsetz, Harold, 1969. "Information and Efficiency: Another Viewpoint," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 12(1), pages 1-22, April.
- Mamatzakis, E. & Staikouras, C. & Koutsomanoli-Fillipaki, N., 2005. "Competition and concentration in the banking sector of the South Eastern European region," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 192-209, June.
- Manthos D. Delis & K. Christos Staikouras & Panagiotis T. Varlagas, 2008.
"On the Measurement of Market Power in the Banking Industry,"
Journal of Business Finance & Accounting,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(7-8), pages 1023-1047.
- Delis, Manthos D & Staikouras, Christos & Varlagas, Panagiotis, 2008. "On the measurement of market power in the banking industry," MPRA Paper 14038, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Georgios Efthyvoulou & Canan Yildirim, 2013. "Market Power in CEE Banking Sectors and the Impact of the Global Financial Crisis," CASE Network Studies and Analyses 0452, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research.
- Yildirim, H. Semih & Philippatos, George C., 2007. "Restructuring, consolidation and competition in Latin American banking markets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 629-639, March.
- Delis, Manthos D, 2008.
"Competitive conditions in the Central and Eastern European banking systems,"
13890, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Delis, Manthos D., 2010. "Competitive conditions in the Central and Eastern European banking systems," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 268-274, October.
- Malgorzata Pawlowska, 2012. "Competition, concentration and foreign capital in the Polish banking sector (prior and during the financial crisis)," National Bank of Poland Working Papers 130, National Bank of Poland, Economic Institute.
- Sami Mensi, 2010. "Measurement of Competitiveness Degree in Tunisian Deposit Banks: An Application of the Panzar and Rosse Model," Panoeconomicus, Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia, vol. 57(2), pages 189-207, June.
- Simpasa Anthony M., 2013. "Working Paper 168 - Competition and Market Structure in the Zambian Banking Sector," Working Paper Series 447, African Development Bank.
- Anzoategui, Diego & Pería, María Soledad Martínez & Melecky, Martin, 2012. "Bank competition in Russia: An examination at different levels of aggregation," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 42-57.
- Małgorzata, 2011. "Competition in the Polish banking market prior to recent crisis for the period 1997–2007 – empirical results obtained with the use of three different models," Bank i Kredyt, National Bank of Poland, Economic Institute, vol. 42(5), pages 5-40.
- Johan Mathisen & Thierry D. Buchs, 2005. "Competition and Efficiency in Banking: Behavioral Evidence from Ghana," IMF Working Papers 05/17, International Monetary Fund.
- Andries Alin Marius & Capraru Bogdan, 2011. "Competition In Romanian Banking Sector," Annals of Faculty of Economics, University of Oradea, Faculty of Economics, vol. 1(1), pages 455-460, July.
- Stavarek, Daniel & Repkova, Iveta, 2011. "Estimation of the competitive conditions in the Czech banking sector," MPRA Paper 30720, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Maria-Eleni K. Agoraki & Manthos D. Delis & Panagiotis K. Staikouras, 2010.
"The effect of board size and composition on bank efficiency,"
International Journal of Banking, Accounting and Finance,
Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 2(4), pages 357-386.
- Agoraki, Maria-Eleni & Delis, Manthos D & Staikouras, Panagiotis, 2009. "The effect of board size and composition on bank efficiency," MPRA Paper 18548, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ewa Miklaszewska & Katarzyna Mikołajczyk & Malgorzata Pawlowska, 2012. "The consequences of post-crisis regulatory architecture for banks in Central Eastern Europe," National Bank of Poland Working Papers 131, National Bank of Poland, Economic Institute.
- Bana Abuzayed & Nedal Al-Fayoumi & Hisham Gharaibeh, 2012. "Competition in MENA countries banking markets," International Journal of Financial Services Management, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 5(3), pages 272-301.
- Alin Marius Andrieş & Bogdan Căpraru, 2012. "Competition and efficiency in EU27 banking systems," Baltic Journal of Economics, Baltic International Centre for Economic Policy Studies, vol. 12(1), pages 41-60, July.
- Anzoategui, Diego & Soledad Martinez Peria, Maria & Melecky, Martin, 2010. "Banking sector competition in Russia," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5449, The World Bank.
- MEREUTA, Cezar & CAPRARU, Bogdan, 2012. "Romanian Banking Competition. A New Structural Approach," Working Papers of National Institute of Economic Research 120722, National Institute of Economic Research.
- Shaffer, Sherrill, 2004. "Patterns of competition in banking," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 56(4), pages 287-313.
- Abdul Majid, Muhamed Zulkhibri & Sufian, Fadzlan, 2007. "Market Structure and Competition in Emerging Market: Evidence from Malaysian Islamic Banking Industry," MPRA Paper 12126, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 01 Jul 2007.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.