Competition and structure of South Asian banking: a revenue behaviour approach
AbstractThis paper examines the nature of competition and structure in South Asian banking markets. It also assesses whether traditional interest-based product market segments are more competitive than those that also include fee- and commission-based products. The reduced form Panzar-Rosse specification tests show that bank revenues appear to be earned under conditions of monopolistic competition during the period 1995 to 2003. In Bangladesh and Pakistan competition is greater in the traditional interest-based product markets while Indian and Sri Lankan domestic commercial banks seem to face more competitive pressure in the fee-based product market from other financial intermediaries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Financial Economics.
Volume (Year): 16 (2006)
Issue (Month): 11 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAFE20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sumon Bhaumik & Jenifer Piesse, 2003. "Are Foreign Banks Bad for Development Even If They Are Efficient? Evidence from the Indian Banking Industry," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 2003-619, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Sumon Kumar Bhaumik & Ralitza Dimova, 2003.
"How Important is Ownership in a Market with Level Playing Field? The Indian Banking Sector Revisited,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
2003-569, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Bhaumik, Sumon Kumar & Dimova, Ralitza, 2004. "How important is ownership in a market with level playing field?: The Indian banking sector revisited," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 165-180, March.
- Shaffer, Sherrill, 1993.
"A Test of Competition in Canadian Banking,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 25(1), pages 49-61, February.
- Molyneux, Phil & Lloyd-Williams, D. M. & Thornton, John, 1994. "Competitive conditions in european banking," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 445-459, May.
- Baumol, William J, 1982. "Contestable Markets: An Uprising in the Theory of Industry Structure," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(1), pages 1-15, March.
- Shaffer, Sherrill, 1989. "Competition in the U.S. banking industry," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 321-323.
- Ribon, S. & Yosha, O., 1999. "Financial Liberalization and Competition in Banking: an Empirical Investigation," Papers 23-99, Tel Aviv.
- P. Coccorese, 1998.
"Assessing the competitive conditions in the Italian banking system: some empirical evidence,"
BNL Quarterly Review,
Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 51(205), pages 171-191.
- P. Coccorese, 1998. "Assessing the competitive conditions in the Italian banking system: some empirical evidence," Banca Nazionale del Lavoro Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 51(205), pages 171-191.
- J.A. Bikker, 2003. "Testing for imperfect competition on EU deposit and loan markets with Bresnahan's market power model," Research Series Supervision (discontinued) 52, Netherlands Central Bank, Directorate Supervision.
- Gaston Gelos & Jorge Roldos, 2002.
"Consolidation and Market Structure in Emerging Market Banking Systems,"
IMF Working Papers
02/186, International Monetary Fund.
- Gelos, R. G. & Roldos, Jorge, 2004. "Consolidation and market structure in emerging market banking systems," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 39-59, March.
- Molyneux, Philip & Thornton, John & Michael Llyod-Williams, D., 1996. "Competition and market contestability in Japanese commercial banking," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 33-45, February.
- Demsetz, Harold, 1973. "Industry Structure, Market Rivalry, and Public Policy," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 16(1), pages 1-9, April.
- Hondroyiannis, George & Lolos, Sarantis & Papapetrou, Evangelia, 1999. "Assessing competitive conditions in the Greek banking system," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 377-391, November.
- Sarkar, Jayati & Sarkar, Subrata & Bhaumik, Sumon K., 1998. "Does Ownership Always Matter?--Evidence from the Indian Banking Industry," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 262-281, June.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Abdul Majid, Muhamed Zulkhibri & Sufian, Fadzlan, 2007. "Market Structure and Competition in Emerging Market: Evidence from Malaysian Islamic Banking Industry," MPRA Paper 12126, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 01 Jul 2007.
- Rezitis, Anthony N., 2010. "Evaluating the state of competition of the Greek banking industry," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 68-90, February.
- Simbanegavi, Witness & Greenberg, Josh & Gwatidzo, Tendai, 2012. "Testing for competition in the South African banking sector," MPRA Paper 43627, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Yong Tan & Christos Floros, 2013. "Market power, stability and performance in the Chinese banking industry," Economic Issues Journal Articles, Economic Issues, vol. 18(2), pages 65-90, September.
- Qichang Ye & Zongling Xu & Dan Fang, 2012. "Market structure, performance, and efficiency of the Chinese banking sector," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 45(4), pages 337-358, November.
- Iveta Repková & Daniel Stavárek, 2014. "Concentration and Competition in the Banking Sector of Turkey," The AMFITEATRU ECONOMIC journal, Academy of Economic Studies - Bucharest, Romania, vol. 36(16), pages 625, May.
- Samuel Fosu, 2013. "Banking Competition in Africa: Sub-regional Comparative Studies," Discussion Papers in Economics 13/12, Department of Economics, University of Leicester, revised Jun 2013.
- Muhamed Majid & Fadzlan Sufian, 2006. "Consolidation and Competition in Emerging Market: An Empirical Test for Malaysian Banking Industry," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 39(1), pages 105-124, June.
- Fosu, Samuel, 2013. "Banking competition in Africa: Subregional comparative studies," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 15(C), pages 233-254.
- Stavarek, Daniel & Repkova, Iveta, 2011. "Estimation of the competitive conditions in the Czech banking sector," MPRA Paper 30720, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ahmed Arif & Ahmed Nauman Anees, 2012. "Liquidity risk and performance of banking system," Journal of Financial Regulation and Compliance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 20(2), pages 182-195, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.