Reaching the Rural Poor : A Renewed Strategy for Rural Development
Abstract"From Vision to Action", the Bank's previous rural development strategy launched in 1997, had a decisive influence on global thinking - but disappointing results on the ground. In 2001, lending for agricultural projects was the lowest in the Bank's history. The new strategy is results oriented: "Reaching the Rural Poor" stresses practice, implementation, monitoring, and empowerment of the people it is designed to help. This strategy responds to changes in: the global environment; in client countries; and, in the Bank, starting with the development of regional action plans, and extensive consultations at the regional level. It also reflects, and reinforces the Bank's commitment to the United Nations Millennium Development Goals to increase rural incomes, and broaden opportunities for rural people. The key features of this strategy are to: focus on the rural poor; foster broad-based economic growth; address rural areas comprehensively; forge alliances of all stakeholders; and, address the impact of global developments on client countries. In this capacity, support for better agricultural, and trade policies, should be achieved through increased advocacy for trade liberalization, by mainstreaming agricultural trade liberalization, and trade-capacity development in the Bank's country assistance, and operations; and, by facilitating capacity building through technical assistance in the areas of standards, and sanitary and phytosanitary regulations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoThis book is provided by The World Bank in its series World Bank Publications with number 14084 and published in 2003-08.
Economic Theory and Research Banks and Banking Reform Poverty Reduction - Rural Poverty Reduction Health; Nutrition and Population - Population Policies Finance and Financial Sector Development Macroeconomics and Economic Growth Rural Development;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pinstrup-Andersen, Per & Pandya-Lorch, Rajul & Rosegrant, Mark W., 1999. "World food prospects," Food policy reports 9, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Eicher, Carl K., 2004. "Rebuilding Africa'S Scientific Capacity In Food And Agriculture," Staff Papers 11543, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Ton, Giel, 2008. "Challenges for smallholder market access: a review of literature on institutional arrangements in collective marketing," MPRA Paper 33329, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bernard, Tanguy & Gabre-Madhin, Eleni Z. & Taffesse, Alemayehu Seyoum, 2007. "Smallholders' commercialization through cooperatives: A diagnostic for Ethiopia," IFPRI discussion papers 722, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Wambugu, Stella N. & Okello, Julius Juma & Nyikal, Rose Adhiambo & Bekele, Shiferaw, 2009. "Effect of Social Capital on Performance of Smallholder Producer Organizations: The Case of Groundnut Growers in Western Kenya," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51466, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- William Easterly, 2008. "Planners vs. Searchers in African Agricultural Aid," QA - Rivista dell'Associazione Rossi-Doria, Associazione Rossi Doria, issue 3, July.
- Rahut, Dil Bahadur & Micevska, Maja B., 2007. "Rural Nonfarm Employment and Incomes in the Eastern Himalayas," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, GÃ¶ttingen 2007 22, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Maja Micevska & Dil Bahadur Rahut, 2008.
"Rural Nonfarm Employment and Incomes in the Himalayas,"
Development Economics Working Papers
22174, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Maja Micevska & Dil Bahadur Rahut, 2008. "Rural Nonfarm Employment and Incomes in the Himalayas," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 57(1), pages 163-193, October.
- Maja Micevska, 2009. "Rural Nonfarm Employment and Incomes in the Himalayas," Working Papers id:2226, eSocialSciences.
- Kirui, Oliver K. & Okello, Julius Juma & Nyikal, Rose Adhiambo, 2012. "Impact of Mobile Phone-based Money Transfer Services in Agriculture: Evidence from Kenya," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 125738, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- World Bank, 2003. "Scaling-Up the Impact of Good Practices in Rural Development : A Working Paper to Support Implementation of the World Bank’s Rural Development Strategy," World Bank Other Operational Studies 14370, The World Bank.
- William Easterly, 2009.
"Can the West Save Africa?,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 47(2), pages 373-447, June.
- Resnick, Danielle & Birner, Regina, 2008.
"Agricultural strategy development in West Africa: The false promise of participation?,"
IFPRI discussion papers
844, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Danielle Resnick & Regina Birner, 2010. "Agricultural Strategy Development in West Africa: The False Promise of Participation?," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 28(1), pages 97-115, 01.
- World Bank, 2004. "Drainage for Gain : Integrated Solutions to Drainage in Land and Water Management," World Bank Other Operational Studies 14419, The World Bank.
- Kuyvenhoven, Arie, 2004. "Creating an enabling environment: policy conditions for less-favored areas," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 407-429, August.
- Wiggins, Steve & Kirsten, Johann & Llambí, Luis, 2010. "The Future of Small Farms," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 38(10), pages 1341-1348, October.
- Bernard, Tanguy & Spielman, David J., 2009. "Reaching the rural poor through rural producer organizations? A study of agricultural marketing cooperatives in Ethiopia," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 60-69, February.
- Anriquez, Gustavo & Stamoulis, Kostas G., 2007. "Rural Development and Poverty Reduction: Is Agriculture Still Key?," eJADE: electronic Journal of Agricultural and Development Economics, Food and Agriculture Organization, Agricultural and Development Economics Division, vol. 4(1).
- Kane, Sam & Eicher, Carl K., 2004. "Foreign Aid And The African Farmer," Staff Papers 11602, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Wang, Xiaobing & Yu, Xiaohua, 2011. "Scale Effects, Technical Efficiency and Land Lease in China," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 115736, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Chamberlin, Jordan, 2008. "It's a small world after all: Defining smallholder agriculture in Ghana," IFPRI discussion papers 823, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Joselito Gallardo & Michael Goldberg & Bikki Randhawa, 2006. "Strategic Alliances to Scale Up Financial Services in Rural Areas," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6960, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Breineder).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.