Competing in groups
AbstractIn this study, we examine how the characteristics of clique structures affect the performance of firms embedded within the cliques. Although it is generally accepted in organization theory and strategic management that firms are embedded within ego and overarching industry networks that each affect their behavior and performance, there is little evidence on whether cliques are stable features of industry networks or affect firm behavior or performance. We theorize that the value of a clique to its members depends on (1) the network centrality of the clique and (2) the internal structure and organization (heterogeneity and inequality) of the clique. Our analysis of the Canadian investment banking industry from 1952 to 1990 provides empirical evidence of stable cliques, and indicates that while a clique's internal structure and organization materially affect firm-level benefits of clique membership, its positional embeddedness within the industry network does not. Copyright © 2004 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Managerial and Decision Economics.
Volume (Year): 25 (2004)
Issue (Month): 6-7 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/7976
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter Kennedy, 2003. "A Guide to Econometrics, 5th Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 5, volume 1, number 026261183x, January.
- Lemmens, Charmianne & Duysters, Geert & Letterie, Wilko & Vanhaverbeke, Wim, 2009.
"The innovative performance of alliance block members: Evidence from the microelectronics industry,"
26418, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2010.
- Duysters, Geert & Lemmens, Charmianne & Letterie, Wilko & Vanhaverbeke, Wim, 2008. "The Innovative Performance of Alliance Block Members: Evidence from the Microelectronics Industry," UNU-MERIT Working Paper Series 064, United Nations University, Maastricht Economic and social Research and training centre on Innovation and Technology.
- Duysters, Geert & Lemmens, Charmianne & Letterie, Wilko & Vanhaverbeke, Wim, 2008. "The Innovative Performance of Alliance Block Members: Evidence from the Microelectronics Industry," MERIT Working Papers 064, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Pieters, Michiel & Gilsing, Victor & Vanhaverbeke, Wim, 2009. "Mind the gap: Balancing alliance network and technology portfolios during periods of technological uncertainty," MPRA Paper 26491, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2010.
- Casanueva, Cristóbal & Castro, Ignacio & Galán, José L., 2013. "Informational networks and innovation in mature industrial clusters," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 66(5), pages 603-613.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.