Picking winners or building them? Alliance, intellectual, and human capital as selection criteria in venture financing and performance of biotechnology startups
AbstractNo abstract is available for this item.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Business Venturing.
Volume (Year): 19 (2004)
Issue (Month): 3 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbusvent
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lerner, Joshua, 1994. "Venture capitalists and the decision to go public," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 293-316, June.
- Lee, Lung-Fei, 1983. "Generalized Econometric Models with Selectivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, Econometric Society, vol. 51(2), pages 507-12, March.
- Hellmann, Thomas F. & Puri, Manju, 2000.
"Venture Capital and the Professionalization of Start-up Firms: Empirical Evidence,"
Research Papers, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business
1661, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Thomas Hellmann & Manju Puri, 2002. "Venture Capital and the Professionalization of Start-Up Firms: Empirical Evidence," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, American Finance Association, vol. 57(1), pages 169-197, 02.
- Gifford, Sharon, 1997. "Limited attention and the role of the venture capitalist," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 12(6), pages 459-482, November.
- Argyres, Nicholas S. & Liebeskind, Julia Porter, 1998. "Privatizing the intellectual commons: Universities and the commercialization of biotechnology," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 427-454, May.
- Raphael Amit & Lawrence Glosten & Eitan Muller, 1990. "Entrepreneurial Ability, Venture Investments, and Risk Sharing," Management Science, INFORMS, INFORMS, vol. 36(10), pages 1233-1246, October.
- Gorman, Michael & Sahlman, William A., 1989. "What do venture capitalists do?," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 231-248, July.
- Zacharakis, Andrew L. & Meyer, G. Dale, 2000. "The potential of actuarial decision models: Can they improve the venture capital investment decision?," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 323-346, July.
- Shepherd, Dean A. & Zacharakis, Andrew, 2002. "Venture capitalists' expertise: A call for research into decision aids and cognitive feedback," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 1-20, January.
- Heckman, James J, 1979.
"Sample Selection Bias as a Specification Error,"
Econometrica, Econometric Society,
Econometric Society, vol. 47(1), pages 153-61, January.
- Heckman, James, 2013. "Sample selection bias as a specification error," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 31(3), pages 129-137.
- Chan, Yuk-Shee, 1983.
" On the Positive Role of Financial Intermediation in Allocation of Venture Capital in a Market with Imperfect Information,"
Journal of Finance, American Finance Association,
American Finance Association, vol. 38(5), pages 1543-68, December.
- Yuk-Shee Chan., 1982. "On the Positive Role of Financial Intermediation in Allocation of Venture Capital in a Market with Imperfect Information," Research Program in Finance Working Papers, University of California at Berkeley 127, University of California at Berkeley.
- Hall, John & Hofer, Charles W., 1993. "Venture capitalists' decision criteria in new venture evaluation," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 25-42, January.
- Robert Jacobson, 1990. "Unobservable Effects and Business Performance," Marketing Science, INFORMS, INFORMS, vol. 9(1), pages 74-85.
- Austin, David H, 1993. "An Event-Study Approach to Measuring Innovative Output: The Case of Biotechnology," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, American Economic Association, vol. 83(2), pages 253-58, May.
- Zucker, Lynne G & Darby, Michael R & Brewer, Marilynn B, 1998. "Intellectual Human Capital and the Birth of U.S. Biotechnology Enterprises," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, American Economic Association, vol. 88(1), pages 290-306, March.
- Lerner, Josh, 1995. "Patenting in the Shadow of Competitors," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 38(2), pages 463-95, October.
- Megginson, William L & Weiss, Kathleen A, 1991. " Venture Capitalist Certification in Initial Public Offerings," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, American Finance Association, vol. 46(3), pages 879-903, July.
- Shepherd, Dean A. & Ettenson, Richard & Crouch, Andrew, 2000. "New venture strategy and profitability: A venture capitalist's assessment," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 15(5-6), pages 449-467.
- Samuel Kortum & Josh Lerner, 2000. "Assessing the Contribution of Venture Capital to Innovation," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, The RAND Corporation, vol. 31(4), pages 674-692, Winter.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.