The performance of charter schools in Wisconsin
AbstractHow have charter schools in Wisconsin performed relative to traditional public schools? Two analyses provide an answer: First, a comparison of achievement test scores for students in Milwaukee charter and traditional schools from 1998 to 2002 for grades 3 through 10 finds a relative advantage for charter school students using fixed effects and first difference specifications. Second, a methodological approach new to the debate over performance in choice schools assesses schoollevel standardized tests in the fourth and eighth grades for 2000-01 and 2001-02. The results for fourth grade are generally favorable for charter schools; those for eighth grade are mixed. Overall, the results from these two analyses suggest that charter schools in Wisconsin are performing somewhat better than the traditional public schools from which they draw students. © 2007 by the Association for Public Policy Analysis and Management
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of Policy Analysis and Management.
Volume (Year): 26 (2007)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/34787/home
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- George M. Holmes, .
"Does school choice increase school quality?,"
Working Papers, East Carolina University, Department of Economics
0106, East Carolina University, Department of Economics.
- Richard Buddin & Ron Zimmer, 2005. "Student achievement in charter schools: A complex picture," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 24(2), pages 351-371.
- Gary T. Henry & Craig S. Gordon, 2006. "Competition in the sandbox: A test of the effects of preschool competition on educational outcomes," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(1), pages 97-127.
- Cecilia Elena Rouse, 1998. "Private School Vouchers And Student Achievement: An Evaluation Of The Milwaukee Parental Choice Program," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, MIT Press, vol. 113(2), pages 553-602, May.
- Cecilia Elena Rouse, 1998. "Schools and student achievement: more evidence from the Milwaukee parental choice program," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Mar, pages 61-76.
- Bettinger, Eric P., 2005. "The effect of charter schools on charter students and public schools," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 133-147, April.
- repec:fth:prinin:396 is not listed on IDEAS
- Zimmer, Ron & Gill, Brian & Booker, Kevin & Lavertu, Stéphane & Witte, John, 2012. "Examining charter student achievement effects across seven states," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 213-224.
- Bing-ru Teh & Moria McCullough & Brian P. Gill, 2010. "Student Achievement in New York City Middle Schools Affiliated with Achievement First and Uncommon Schools," Mathematica Policy Research Reports, Mathematica Policy Research 6698, Mathematica Policy Research.
- Christina Clark Tuttle & Bing-ru Teh & Ira Nichols-Barrer & Brian P. Gill & Philip Gleason, 2010. "Student Characteristics and Achievement in 22 KIPP Middle Schools," Mathematica Policy Research Reports, Mathematica Policy Research 6673, Mathematica Policy Research.
- Winters, Marcus A., 2012. "Measuring the effect of charter schools on public school student achievement in an urban environment: Evidence from New York City," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 293-301.
- Ron Zimmer & Brian Gill & Jonathon Attridge & Kaitlin Obenauf, 2013. "Charter School Authorizers and Student Achievement," Mathematica Policy Research Reports, Mathematica Policy Research 7808, Mathematica Policy Research.
- Carlson, Deven & Lavery, Lesley & Witte, John F., 2012. "Charter school authorizers and student achievement," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 254-267.
- Melissa A. Clark & Philip Gleason & Christina Clark Tuttle & Marsha K. Silverberg, 2011. "Do Charter Schools Improve Student Achievement? Evidence from a National Randomized Study," Mathematica Policy Research Reports, Mathematica Policy Research 7273, Mathematica Policy Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.