New approaches to children and development: Introduction and overview
AbstractUntil recently, children as social actors have been largely invisible in development policy and practice, leading to disbenefits and lost opportunities both for children themselves and for the communities and societies in which they live. This paper provides an overview of the factors which have led to this situation, explores the impact of orthodox approaches on policy and practice, and lays out a preliminary agenda for future research and reform.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of International Development.
Volume (Year): 8 (1996)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/5102/home
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Moore, H., 1994. "Is There a Crisis in the Family?," Papers 3, United Nations - Research Institute of Social Development.
- Roger A. Hart, 1992. "Children's Participation: From tokenism to citizenship," Innocenti Essay inness92/6, UNICEF Innocenti Research Centre.
- Katz, Elizabeth G., 1995. "Gender and trade within the household: Observations from rural guatemala," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 327-342, February.
- Haddad, Lawrence & Hoddinott, John, 1994. "Women's income and boy-girl anthropometric status in the Cote d'Ivoire," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 543-553, April.
- Jo Boyden, 1994. "The Relationship between Education and Child Work," Innocenti Occasional Papers, Child Rights Series iopcrs94/3, UNICEF Innocenti Research Centre.
- Caroline Harper, 2002. "Recent approaches to understanding policy and action for eradicating childhood poverty," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(8), pages 1075-1079.
- Huijsmans, R.B.C., 2006. "Children, childhood and migration," ISS Working Papers - General Series 19186, International Institute of Social Studies of Erasmus University Rotterdam (ISS), The Hague.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.