Measuring the trade-off between outreach and sustainability of microenterprise lenders
AbstractThe progression of microfinance NGOs from small, money-losing operations to large providers of banking services to the poor involves many risks. Unless these risks are managed successfully, the conflict between the objectives of outreach and sustainability becomes destructive to both. Several analytical tools based on accounting data and financial analysis can monitor progress toward sustainability with expanding outreach. These should be routinely applied by microfinance providers and the donors that sponsor them.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of International Development.
Volume (Year): 8 (1996)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/5102/home
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Samuel Kobina Annim, 2011.
"Sensitivity of Loan Size to Lending Rates Evidence from Ghana’s Microfinance Sector,"
Working Paper Series, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER)
UNU-WIDER Working Paper W, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Annim, Samuel Kobina, 2009. "Sensitivity of loan size to lending rates: Evidence from Ghana’s microfinance sector," MPRA Paper 21280, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- James C. Brau & Gary M. Woller, 2004. "Microfinance: A Comprehensive Review of the Existing Literature," Journal of Entrepreneurial Finance, Pepperdine University, Graziadio School of Business and Management, Pepperdine University, Graziadio School of Business and Management, vol. 9(1), pages 1-28, Spring.
- Roy Mersland & Reidar Øystein Str�m, 2008. "Performance and trade-offs in Microfinance Organisations-does ownership matter?," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(5), pages 598-612.
- Louis, Philippe & Seret, Alex & Baesens, Bart, 2013. "Financial Efficiency and Social Impact of Microfinance Institutions Using Self-Organizing Maps," World Development, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 46(C), pages 197-210.
- Schreiner, Mark, 1997. "Ways Donors Can Help The Evolution Of Sustainable Microfinance Organizations," Economics and Sociology Occasional Papers, Ohio State University, Department of Agricultural, Environmental and Development Economics 28327, Ohio State University, Department of Agricultural, Environmental and Development Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.