Estimating production costs in the economic evaluation of health-care programs
AbstractWe propose a method for calculating the production costs of an intervention in a manner that accounts for differences in productive 'effort.' This method could be used within a cost-effectiveness analysis framework in the evaluation of new medical technologies, pharmaceuticals, treatment programs, or public health interventions. We apply it to show evidence in favor of implementing a newborn screening program to detect congenital hearing impairment. Copyright © 2008 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Health Economics.
Volume (Year): 18 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/5749
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Koopmanschap, Marc A. & Rutten, Frans F. H. & van Ineveld, B. Martin & van Roijen, Leona, 1995. "The friction cost method for measuring indirect costs of disease," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 171-189, June.
- Johannesson, Magnus, 1995. "The relationship between cost-effectiveness analysis and cost-benefit analysis," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 41(4), pages 483-489, August.
- Wu, Stephen, 2003. "Sickness and preventive medical behavior," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 675-689, July.
- Byrne, Margaret M. & Thompson, Peter, 2001. "Screening and preventable illness," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(6), pages 1077-1088, November.
- Andrew Clark & David Masclet & Marie-Claire Villeval, 2010.
"Effort and comparison income: experimental and survey evidence,"
- Andrew E. Clark & David Masclet & Marie Claire Villeval, 2010. "Effort and Comparison Income: Experimental and Survey Evidence," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 63(3), pages 407-426, April.
- Andrew E. Clark & David Masclet & Marie-Claire Villeval, 2008. "Effort and Comparison Income: Experimental and Survey Evidence," CEP Discussion Papers dp0886, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Clark, Andrew E. & Masclet, David & Villeval, Marie Claire, 2006. "Effort and Comparison Income: Experimental and Survey Evidence," IZA Discussion Papers 2169, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bleichrodt, Han & Herrero, Carmen & Pinto, Jose Luis, 2002. "A proposal to solve the comparability problem in cost-utility analysis," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 397-403, May.
- Carmen Herrero & Juan D. Moreno-Ternero, 2005. "Hospital costs and social cost: A case study of newborn hearing screening," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 29(1), pages 203-216, January.
- Gneezy, U. & Rustichini, A., 1998.
"Pay Enough - Or Don't Pay at All,"
1998-57, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Olsen, Jan Abel & Richardson, Jeff, 1999. "Production gains from health care: what should be included in cost-effectiveness analyses?," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 17-26, July.
- Marc Fleurbaey & François Maniquet, 2006. "Compensation and responsibility," Working Papers halshs-00121367, HAL.
- Brouwer, W. B. F. & Koopmanschap, M. A. & Rutten, F. F. H., 1999. "Productivity losses without absence: measurement validation and empirical evidence," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 13-27, July.
- Werner B.F. Brouwer & Marc A. Koopmanschap & Frans F.H. Rutten, 1997. "Productivity costs in cost-effectiveness analysis: numerator or denominator: a further discussion," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(5), pages 511-514.
- Cowell, F.A., 2000. "Measurement of inequality," Handbook of Income Distribution, in: A.B. Atkinson & F. Bourguignon (ed.), Handbook of Income Distribution, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 2, pages 87-166 Elsevier.
- Gravelle, H. S. E. & Simpson, P. R. & Chamberlain, J., 1982. "Breast cancer screening and health service costs," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 185-207, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.