Mergers and acquisitions, employment, wages, and plant closures in the U.S. meat product industries
AbstractThe purpose of this article is to evaluate the impact of mergers and acquisitions (M&As) on wages, employment, and plant closures in the meat packing, prepared meat products, and poultry slaughter and processing industries during two merger periods, 1977-1987 and 1982-1992. The analysis relies on two balanced panel datasets of all plants owned by meat and poultry firms that existed in the 1977 Census of Manufacturing and survived until 1987 and another dataset of plants that existed in 1982 and survived until 1992. We find that (a) M&As are positively associated with wages in the meat packing and prepared meat products industries during 1977-1987, but not during 1982-1992; (b) changes in employment are positively related to M&As in all three meat and poultry industries during 1977-1987, but only in the poultry industry during 1982-1992; and (c) M&As are generally negatively associated with plant closures [EconLit. Citations: J630]. © 2009 wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Agribusiness.
Volume (Year): 25 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brown, Charles & Medoff, James, 1989.
"The Employer Size-Wage Effect,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(5), pages 1027-59, October.
- Sang V Nguyen & Robert H Mcguckin, 1993. "On Productivity and Plant Ownership Change: New Evidence From the LRD," Working Papers 93-15, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Ashenfelter, Orley & Krueger, Alan B, 1994.
"Estimates of the Economic Returns to Schooling from a New Sample of Twins,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 84(5), pages 1157-73, December.
- Alan Krueger & Orley Ashenfelter, 1992. "Estimates of the Economic Return to Schooling from a New Sample of Twins," NBER Working Papers 4143, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ollinger, Michael & MacDonald, James M. & Madison, Milton, 2000. "Structural Change In U.S. Chicken And Turkey Slaughter," Agricultural Economics Reports 34049, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Sang V Nguyen & Robert H Mcguckin, 1995. "Exploring The Role Of Acquisition In The Performance Of Firms: Is The "Firm" The Right Unit Of Analysis?," Working Papers 95-13, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Dunne, T. & Roberts, M., 1993.
"The Long-Run Demand for Labor: Estimates from Census Establishment Data,"
10-93-8, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Timothy Dunne & Mark J Roberts, 1993. "The Long-Run Demand for Labor: Estimates From Census Establishment Data," Working Papers 93-13, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Robert H. McGuckin & Sang V. Nguyen & Arnold P. Reznek, 1998. "On Measuring the Impact of Ownership Change on Labor: Evidence from U.S. Food-Manufacturing Plant-Level Data," NBER Chapters, in: Labor Statistics Measurement Issues, pages 207-248 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert H McGuckin & Sang V Nguyen, 2000.
"The Impact of Ownership Changes: A View from Labor Markets,"
00-02, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- McGuckin, Robert H. & Nguyen, Sang V., 2001. "The impact of ownership changes: a view from labor markets," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 739-762, April.
- Charles Brown & James L. Medoff, 1988.
"The Impact of Firm Acquisitions on Labor,"
in: Corporate Takeovers: Causes and Consequences, pages 9-32
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Frank R. Lichtenberg & Donald Siegel, 1987. "Productivity and Changes in Ownership of Manufactoring Plants," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 18(3), pages 643-684.
- Sang V Nguyen, 1998. "The Manufacturing Plant Ownership Change Database: Its Construction And Usefulness," Working Papers 98-16, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Ollinger, Michael & Nguyen, Sang V., 2001. "Mergers And Acquisitions And Productivity In The U.S. Meat Products Industries: Evidence From Microdata," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20580, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Robert H Mcguckin & George A Pascoe, 1988. "The Longitudinal Research Database (LRD): Status And Research Possibilities," Working Papers 88-2, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Matsusaka, John G, 1993. "Target Profits and Managerial Discipline during the Conglomerate Merger Wave," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(2), pages 179-89, June.
- Yanling Wang, 2010. "Exposure to FDI and New Plant Survival: Evidence in Canada," Carleton Economic Papers 10-05, Carleton University, Department of Economics.
- Mathieu Bunel & Richard Duhautois & Lucie Gonzalez, 2010. "Are Mergers and Acquisitions Accompanied by Increasing Recourse to THS employment? A French perspective," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 30(1), pages 614-623.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.