Are Mergers and Acquisitions Accompanied by Increasing Recourse to THS employment? A French perspective
AbstractThis paper focuses on variations in employment of temporary help services (THS) employment when firms face mergers & acquisitions (M&As). We use an original French dataset in which the stock of temporary workers is isolated from that of other workers. With descriptive statistics, we observe that the number of temporary workers increases in acquiring firms. We use matching difference-in-differences estimators to check whether the use of THS employment increases after M&As. The results show that M&As are accompanied by increasing recourse to THS employment. The effects are quite strong for 1999 and 2000. The effect is weaker for 2001 because from this year the use of THS employment decreased for the first time since the beginning of the 1980's in France.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by AccessEcon in its journal Economics Bulletin.
Volume (Year): 30 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Mergers and acquisitions; temporary workers; employer-employees data; matching estimators;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J4 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Particular Labor Markets
- L2 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Conyon, Martin J. & Girma, Sourafel & Thompson, Steve & Wright, Peter W., 2001. "Do hostile mergers destroy jobs?," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 45(4), pages 427-440, August.
- Donald Siegel & Kenneth Simons, 2008.
"Evaluating the Effects of Mergers and Acquisitions on Employees: Evidence from Matched Employer-Employee Data,"
2, Jerusalem Institute for Market Studies (JIMS).
- Donald Siegel & Kenneth L. Simons, 2008. "Evaluating the Effects of Mergers and Acquisitions on Employees: Evidence from Matched Employer-Employee Data," Rensselaer Working Papers in Economics 0804, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Department of Economics.
- Smeets, Valerie & Ierulli, Kathryn & Gibbs, Michael, 2006. "Mergers of Equals and Unequals," IZA Discussion Papers 2426, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Gregor Andrade & Mark Mitchell & Erik Stafford, 2001. "New Evidence and Perspectives on Mergers," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 15(2), pages 103-120, Spring.
- Lewis M. Segal & Daniel G. Sullivan, 1997.
"The Growth of Temporary Services Work,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 11(2), pages 117-136, Spring.
- Lehto, Eero & Böckerman, Petri, 2008. "Analysing the employment effects of mergers and acquisitions," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 112-124, October.
- Andrei Shleifer & Lawrence H. Summers, 1989.
"Breach of Trust in Hostile Takeovers,"
NBER Working Papers
2342, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Donald S. Siegel & Kenneth L. Simons & Tomas Lindstrom, 2009. "Ownership Change, Productivity, and Human Capital: New Evidence from Matched Employer-Employee Data," NBER Chapters, in: Producer Dynamics: New Evidence from Micro Data, pages 397-442 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James Heckman & Hidehiko Ichimura & Jeffrey Smith & Petra Todd, 1998.
"Characterizing Selection Bias Using Experimental Data,"
NBER Working Papers
6699, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James Heckman & Hidehiko Ichimura & Jeffrey Smith & Petra Todd, 1998. "Characterizing Selection Bias Using Experimental Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(5), pages 1017-1098, September.
- Lichtenberg, Frank R & Siegel, Donald, 1990. "The Effect of Ownership Changes on the Employment and Wages of Central Office and Other Personnel," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 33(2), pages 383-408, October.
- McGuckin, Robert H. & Nguyen, Sang V., 2001.
"The impact of ownership changes: a view from labor markets,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 739-762, April.
- Robert H McGuckin & Sang V Nguyen, 2000. "The Impact of Ownership Changes: A View from Labor Markets," Working Papers 00-02, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Sang V. Nguyen & Michael Ollinger, 2009. "Mergers and acquisitions, employment, wages, and plant closures in the U.S. meat product industries," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(1), pages 70-89.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.