Doing well by doing a body good: An evaluation of the industry-funded nutrition education program conducted by the Dairy Council of California
AbstractThis article evaluates an industry-funded nutrition education program, Exercise Your Options, provided to junior high school children in California by the Dairy Council of California (DCC). The program consists of education materials provided to teachers to assist in teaching about nutritional topics. We make use of food records from before and after the program, along with records from a control group, to estimate the effects on consumption patterns of learning about nutrition. DCC's activities are funded through a per-unit assessment on California milk, making the returns to producers an interesting topic in light of recent controversy over marketing orders. This article compares the benefits to the dairy industry to the cost of the program to the dairy industry. Under a number of reasonable assumptions, the benefits to dairy producers from increased milk consumption outweigh the costs of the program. [Econ-Lit citations: D120, I120, Q130, Q180] © 1999 John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Agribusiness.
Volume (Year): 15 (1999)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hoy F. Carman & Richard D. Green, 1993. "Commodity supply response to a producer-financed advertising program: The california avocado industry," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(6), pages 605-621.
- E. W. Goddard & M. L. McCutcheon, 1993. "Optimal Producer Investment in Generic Advertising: The Case of Fluid Milk in Ontario and Quebec," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 41(3), pages 329-347, November.
- Freebairn, John W., 1992. "Evaluating The Level And Distribution Of Benefits From Dairy Industry Research," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 36(02), August.
- Nicholas E. Piggott & James A. Chalfant & Julian M. Alston & Garry R. Griffith, 1996. "Demand Response to Advertising in the Australian Meat Industry," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(2), pages 268-279.
- Lee, Hyunok & Alston, Julian M. & Carman, Hoy F. & Sutton, William R., 1996. "Mandated Marketing Programs For California Commodities," Information Series 11919, University of California, Davis, Giannini Foundation.
- McCluskey, Jill J. & Wahl, Thomas I. & Li, Quan & Wandschneider, Philip R., 2005. "U.S. Grass-Fed Beef: Marketing Health Benefits," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 36(03), November.
- Jetter, Karen M. & Chalfant, James A. & Sumner, Daniel A., 2002. "The Welfare Effects Of Consuming A Cancer Prevention Diet," 2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA 19654, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Alston, Julian M. & Sumner, Daniel A. & Vosti, Stephen A., 2005. "The Effects of Agricultural Research and Farm Subsidy Policies on Human Nutrition and Obesity," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19196, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.