An Overview of Global Income Inequality Trends
AbstractThe article reviews trends in global poverty and inequality in the recent decades. It provides evidence that global poverty, especially extreme poverty, reduced significantly, however income disparities between global citizens of the world remained unchanged. The article also discusses policy implications of widening inequality within countries and globally.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by The World Bank in its journal Inequality in Focus.
Volume (Year): 1 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 (April)
global poverty; international inequality; global inequality; equality of opportunity;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D31 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - Personal Income and Wealth Distribution
- D63 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Equity, Justice, Inequality, and Other Normative Criteria and Measurement
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marrero, Gustavo A. & Rodríguez, Juan G., 2013.
"Inequality of opportunity and growth,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 104(C), pages 107-122.
- Cogneau, Denis & Mesplé-Somps, Sandrine, 2008.
"Inequality of Opportunity for Income in Five Countries of Africa,"
Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine
123456789/4320, Paris Dauphine University.
- Denis Cogneau & Sandrine Mesplé-Somps, 2008. "Inequality of Opportunity for Income in Five Countries of Africa," Working Papers DT/2008/04, DIAL (Développement, Institutions et Mondialisation).
- Ferreira , Francisco H. G. & Gignoux, Jeremie, 2008.
"The measurement of inequality of opportunity : theory and an application to Latin America,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4659, The World Bank.
- Francisco H. G. Ferreira & Jérémie Gignoux, 2011. "The Measurement Of Inequality Of Opportunity: Theory And An Application To Latin America," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 57(4), pages 622-657, December.
- Atkinson, A B, 1997.
"Bringing Income Distribution in from the Cold,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(441), pages 297-321, March.
- Ashish Singh, 2012. "Inequality Of Opportunity In Earnings And Consumption Expenditure: The Case Of Indian Men," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 58(1), pages 79-106, 03.
- Nadia Belhaj Hassine, 2012.
"Inequality of Opportunity in Egypt,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 26(2), pages 265-295.
- Gustavo A. Marrero & Juan Gabriel Rodríguez, 2010. "Inequality of opportunity in Europe: Economic and policy facts," Working Papers 172, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Daniele Checchi & Vito Peragine, 2010. "Inequality of opportunity in Italy," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 8(4), pages 429-450, December.
- Carrera Troyano, Miguel & Muñoz de Bustillo, Rafael, 2013.
"Tres décadas de economía, ideología económica y políticas en la evolución de la pobreza y la desigualdad en América Latina
[Three decades of economics, economic ideology and policies in the ," MPRA Paper 51867, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2013.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anna Reva).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.