Estimating the Value of Water Use Permits: A Hedonic Approach Applied to Farmland in the Southeastern United States
AbstractAgricultural irrigation permits in the Flint River Basin in Georgia had been routinely granted until a moratorium was placed on permit issuance in 1999. This research exploits this policy change within a hedonic-pricing framework to estimate the value of irrigation rights in the southeastern United States. While the value of irrigation rights has been studied extensively in the western United States, differences in property rights and legal regimes, as well as a lack of established water-rights markets in the eastern United States, leave us with little information regarding the value of irrigation rights in this setting.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Wisconsin Press in its journal Land Economics.
Volume (Year): 83 (2007)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://le.uwpress.org/
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q25 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Water
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ma, Shan & Swinton, Scott M., 2011. "Valuation of ecosystem services from rural landscapes using agricultural land prices," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(9), pages 1649-1659, July.
- Yoo, James & Simonit, Silvio & Connors, John P. & Maliszewski, Paul J. & Kinzig, Ann P. & Perrings, Charles, 2013. "The value of agricultural water rights in agricultural properties in the path of development," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 91(C), pages 57-68.
- Yoo, James & Perrings, Charles & Kinzig, Ann & Abbott, Joshua K. & Simonit, Silvio & Connors, John P. & Maliszewski, Paul J., 2012. "The Value of Water Rights in Agricultural Properties in the Phoenix Active Management Area," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124095, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Brent, Daniel A., 2013. "The Value of Heterogeneous Property Rights: The Costs of Water Volatility," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 149698, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Chen, Susan Sou-I, 2010. "Hedonic Valuation of Timber Stands in the Great Lakes Northern Forests," Graduate Research Masters Degree Plan B Papers 98072, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Mukherjee, Monobina & Schwabe, Kurt A., 2012. "Valuing Access To Multiple Water Supply Sources In Irrigated Agriculture With A Hedonic Pricing Model," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124604, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Mabel Tidball & Jean-Philippe Terreaux, 2008. "Information revelation through irrigation water pricing using volume reservations," Working Papers 08-14, LAMETA, Universtiy of Montpellier, revised Sep 2008.
- Savage, Jeffrey & Ifft, Jennifer, 2013. "Does Pumping Pay: Groundwater Management Institutions and Cropland Values in Nebraska?," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150581, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.