Participatory Environmental Education and Willingness to Pay for River Basin Management: Empirical Evidence from Nigeria
AbstractThis paper examines the role of participation as a tool for improving individuals’ perceptions and environmental values using a test-retest experiment conducted in south-eastern Nigeria. Two identical contingent valuation experiments were interspersed by participatory workshops designed to involve respondents in framing and forming the valuation scenario. Econometric analyses found that participatory education significantly developed individuals’ perceptions of pollution problems and increased the magnitude and precision of their WTP for a river basin management scheme. The extent of changes in perceptions declined with increasing levels of formal education, suggesting that less educated respondents are more likely to hold weakly formed preferences.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Wisconsin Press in its journal Land Economics.
Volume (Year): 82 (2006)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://le.uwpress.org/
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q51 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Valuation of Environmental Effects
- Q25 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Water
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Nobuyuki Ito & Kenji Takeuchi & Koichi Kuriyama & Yasushi Shoji & Takahiro Tsuge & Yohei Mitani, 2008.
"The influence of decision-making rules on individual preference for ecological restoration: Evidence from an experimental survey,"
Discussion Papers, Graduate School of Economics, Kobe University
0820, Graduate School of Economics, Kobe University.
- Ito, Nobuyuki & Takeuchi, Kenji & Kuriyama, Koichi & Shoji, Yasushi & Tsuge, Takahiro & Mitani, Yohei, 2009. "The influence of decision-making rules on individual preferences for ecological restoration: Evidence from an experimental survey," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 68(8-9), pages 2426-2431, June.
- Li, Xiaoshu & Boyle, Kevin J. & Pullis, Genevieve, 2012. "Does On-site Experience Affect Responses to Stated Preference Questions?," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association 124991, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Lo, Alex Y. & Spash, Clive L., 2011. "Articulation of Plural Values in Deliberative Monetary Valuation: Beyond Preference Economisation and Moralisation," MPRA Paper 30002, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Cavalcanti, Carina & Schläpfer, Felix & Schmid, Bernhard, 2010.
"Public participation and willingness to cooperate in common-pool resource management: A field experiment with fishing communities in Brazil,"
Ecological Economics, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 69(3), pages 613-622, January.
- Cavalcanti, Carina & Schläpfer, Felix & Schmid, Bernhard, 2008. "Public participation and willingness to cooperate in common-pool resource management: a field experiment with fishing communities in Brazil," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Zurich 2008, Verein fÃ¼r Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics 5, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Lindhjem, Henrik & Navrud, Ståle, 2008. "Internet CV surveys – a cheap, fast way to get large samples of biased values?," MPRA Paper 11471, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Devkota, Nirmala & Paudel, Krishna P. & Parajuli, Shanta, 2009. "Broiler Producers’ Willingness To Pay To Manage Nutrient Pollution," 2009 Annual Meeting, January 31-February 3, 2009, Atlanta, Georgia, Southern Agricultural Economics Association 46825, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Cavalcanti, Carina & Engel, Stefanie & Leibbrandt, Andreas, 2013. "Social integration, participation, and community resource management," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 65(2), pages 262-276.
- Takeshima, Hiroyuki & Adeoti, Adetola I. & Okoli, Silas & Salau, Sheu & Rhoe, Valerie, 2010. "Demand characteristics for small-scale private irrigation technologies: Knowledge gaps in Nigeria," NSSP working papers, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) 18, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.