The Influence of Markets and Policy on Spatial Patterns of Non-Timber Forest Product Extraction
AbstractWhen villagers extract resources, such as fuelwood, fodder, or medicinal plants from forests, their decisions over where and how much to extract are influenced by market conditions, their particular opportunity costs of time, minimum consumption needs, and access to markets. This paper develops an optimization model of villagers’ extraction behavior that clarifies how, and under what conditions, policies that create incentives such as improved returns to extraction in a buffer zone might be used instead of adversarial enforcement efforts to protect a forest’s pristine ‘‘inner core.’’
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Wisconsin Press in its journal Land Economics.
Volume (Year): 78 (2002)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://le.uwpress.org/
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q23 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Forestry
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Muller, Jeffrey & Albers, Heidi J., 2004. "Enforcement, payments, and development projects near protected areas: how the market setting determines what works where," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 185-204, June.
- Robinson, Elizabeth J.Z. & Kumar, Ajay Mahaputra & Albers, Heidi J., 2009. "Optimal Enforcement and Practical Issues of Resource Protection in Developing Countries," Discussion Papers dp-09-08-efd, Resources For the Future.
- Elizabeth J. Z. Robinson & Heidi J. Albers & Jeffrey C. Williams, 2006.
"Spatial and Temporal Modeling of Community Non-Timber Forest Extraction,"
CSAE Working Paper Series
2006-03, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Robinson, Elizabeth J.Z. & Albers, Heidi J. & Williams, Jeffrey C., 2008. "Spatial and temporal modeling of community non-timber forest extraction," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 56(3), pages 234-245, November.
- Elizabeth Robinson & Heidi J. Albers & Jeffrey C. Williams, 2006. "Spatial and Temporal Modeling of Community Non-Timber Forest Extraction," Economics Series Working Papers WPS/2006-03, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Colleen Howell & Kurt Schwabe & Azizan Samah, 2010. "Non-timber forest product dependence among the Jah Hut subgroup of Peninsular Malaysia’s Orang Asli," Environment, Development and Sustainability, Springer, vol. 12(1), pages 1-18, February.
- Anders H. Sirén & Juan-Camilo Cardenas & Peter Hambäck & Kalle Parvinen, 2013.
"Distance Friction and the Cost of Hunting in Tropical Forest,"
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 89(3), pages 558-574.
- Anders H. Siren & Juan-Camilo Cardenas & Peter Hamback & Kalle Parvinen, 2012. "Distance Friction and the Cost of Hunting in Tropical Forests," DOCUMENTOS CEDE 010317, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Toman, Michael, 2003. "The Roles of the Environment and Natural Resources in Economic Growth Analysis," Discussion Papers dp-02-71, Resources For the Future.
- Robinson, Elizabeth J.Z. & Albers, Heidi J. & Lokina, Razack & Ngeleza, Guyslain, 2012. "Insiders, Outsiders, and the Role of Local Enforcement in Forest Management: An Example from Tanzania," Discussion Papers dp-12-07-efd, Resources For the Future.
- Starbuck, C.M.C. Meghan & Alexander, Susan J. & Berrens, Robert P. & Bohara, Alok K., 2004. "Valuing special forest products harvesting:: a two-step travel cost recreation demand analysis," Journal of Forest Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 37-53, May.
- Albers, Heidi J. & Fischer, Carolyn & Sanchirico, James N., 2010. "Invasive species management in a spatially heterogeneous world: Effects of uniform policies," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 483-499, November.
- Gavin, Michael C. & Anderson, Gregory J., 2007. "Socioeconomic predictors of forest use values in the Peruvian Amazon: A potential tool for biodiversity conservation," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(4), pages 752-762, February.
- Robinson, Elizabeth J.Z. & Kajembe, George C., . "Changing Access to Forest Resources in Tanzania," Discussion Papers dp-09-10-efd, Resources For the Future.
- Albers, Heidi J. & Robinson, Elizabeth J.Z., 2011. "The Trees and the Bees: Using Enforcement and Income Projects to Protect Forests and Rural Livelihoods Through Spatial Joint Production," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 40(3), December.
- Elizabeth Robinson, 2005.
"Analyzing the Impact of Excluding Rural People from Protected Forests: Spatial Resource Degradation and Rural Welfare,"
Economics Series Working Papers
WPS/2005-03, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Elizabeth J. Z. Robinson & Heidi J. Albers & Jeffrey C. Williams, 2005. "Analyzing the Impact of Excluding Rural People from Protected Forests: Spatial Resource Degradation and Rural Welfare," CSAE Working Paper Series 2005-03, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Dayal, Vikram, 2006. "A microeconometric analysis of household extraction of forest biomass goods in Ranthambhore National Park, India," Journal of Forest Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 145-163, June.
- Coria, Jessica & Robinson, Elizabeth & Smith, Henrik G. & Sterner, Thomas, 2012. "Biodiversity Conservation and Ecosystem Services Provision: Tale of Confused Objectives, Multiple Market Failures and Policy Challenges," Working Papers in Economics 546, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Kelley, Hugh & Evans, Tom, 2011. "The relative influences of land-owner and landscape heterogeneity in an agent-based model of land-use," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(6), pages 1075-1087, April.
- Robinson, Elizabeth J.Z. & Albers, Heidi J. & Kirama, Stephen L., 2012. "The Role of Incentives for Sustainable Implementation of Marine Protected Areas: An Example from Tanzania," Discussion Papers dp-12-03-efd, Resources For the Future.
- Robinson, Elizabeth J.Z. & Albers, Heidi J. & Busby, Gwenlyn M., 2013. "The impact of buffer zone size and management on illegal extraction, park protection, and enforcement," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 92(C), pages 96-103.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.