Consumers' Evaluation of New Products: Learning from Self and Others
AbstractWhen offered a new product whose attributes are unknown, customers can determine whether they like the product by trying it themselves or can wait to observe the experience of other customers who try the product. The authors specify a rational decision process and investigate the implications of learning from others on the sales of new products and the impact of advertising. Copyright 1996 by University of Chicago Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Political Economy.
Volume (Year): 104 (1996)
Issue (Month): 4 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JPE/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Dirk Bergemann & Valimaki Juuso, 2001.
"Entry and Vertical Differentiation,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1302, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Dirk Bergemann & Juuso Valimaki, 1999.
"Experimentation in Markets,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1214, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Philipp Kircher & Andrew Postlewaite, 2008.
"Strategic Firms and Endogenous Consumer Emulation,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 123(2), pages 621-661, 05.
- Kircher, Philipp & Postlewaite, Andrew, 2008. "Strategic firms and endogenous consumer emulation," Open Access publications from London School of Economics and Political Science http://eprints.lse.ac.uk/, London School of Economics and Political Science.
- Philipp Kircher & Andrew Postlewaite, 2008. "Strategic Firms and Endogenous Consumer Emulation," PIER Working Paper Archive 08-003, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Emanuela Randon, 2002. "L’analisi positiva dell’esternalità: rassegna della letteratura e nuovi spunti," Working Papers 58, University of Milano-Bicocca, Department of Economics, revised Jun 2002.
- Richards, Timothy J. & Patterson, Paul M., 2000. "New Varieties And The Returns To Commodity Promotion: The Case Of Fuji Apples," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 29(1), April.
- Oriana Bandiera & Imran Rasul, 2002.
"Social Networks and Technology Adoption in Northern Mozambique,"
STICERD - Development Economics Papers - From 2008 this series has been superseded by Economic Organisation and Public Policy Discussion Papers
35, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Oriana Bandiera & Imran Rasul, 2006. "Social Networks and Technology Adoption in Northern Mozambique," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 116(514), pages 869-902, October.
- Bandiera, Oriana & Rasul, Imran, 2002. "Social Networks and Technology Adoption in Northern Mozambique," CEPR Discussion Papers 3341, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Fumio Ohtake & Katsunori Yamada, 2013. "Appraising the Unhappiness due to the Great East Japan Earthquake: Evidence from Weekly Panel Data on Subjective Well-being," ISER Discussion Paper 0876, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Lidia Dandedjrohoun & Aliou Diagne & Gauthier Biaou & Simon N’cho & Soul-Kifouly Midingoyi, 2012. "Determinants of diffusion and adoption of improved technology for rice parboiling in Benin," Review of Agricultural and Environmental Studies - Revue d'Etudes en Agriculture et Environnement, INRA Department of Economics, vol. 93(2), pages 171-191.
- Richards, Timothy J. & Patterson, Paul M., 1998.
"New Varieties And The Returns To Commodity Promotion: Washington Fuji Apples,"
1998 Annual meeting, August 2-5, Salt Lake City, UT
20784, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Richards, Timothy J. & Patterson, Paul M., 1998. "New Varieties and the Returns to Commodity Promotion: Washington Fuji Apples," Working Papers 28541, Arizona State University, Morrison School of Agribusiness and Resource Management.
- Kaustia, Markku & Knüpfer, Samuli, 2012. "Peer performance and stock market entry," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 104(2), pages 321-338.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.