A Compound Option Model of Production and Intermediate Inventories
AbstractThis article extends the option approach to valuing real assets by modeling the firm as a two-stage process with bounded output rates, in which the output of the first stage may be held as work-in-process. In this setting, the real asset becomes a compound option, which, if exercised, gives the option to finish the work-in-process and sell the output as its final payoff. The existence of intermediate inventories may arise as an optimal investment strategy for exploiting possible future price increases. The framework allows us to analyze the effect of uncertainty on output rates and the effect of interest rates changes on inventory levels. Copyright 1993 by University of Chicago Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Business.
Volume (Year): 66 (1993)
Issue (Month): 4 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JB/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lee, Meng-Yu & Yeh, Fang-Bo & Chen, An-Pin, 2008. "The generalized sequential compound options pricing and sensitivity analysis," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 38-54, January.
- Yepes Rodriguez, Ramón, 2008. "Real option valuation of free destination in long-term liquefied natural gas supplies," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 1909-1932, July.
- Murillas Maza, Arantza, 2000. "Uncertainty and Real Options. Investment and Development of Fishing Resources (I)," BILTOKI 2000-01, Universidad del País Vasco - Departamento de Economía Aplicada III (Econometría y Estadística).
- repec:ags:mareec:28115 is not listed on IDEAS
- Cortazar, Gonzalo & Casassus, Jaime, 1998. "Optimal Timing of a Mine Expansion: Implementing a Real Options Model," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 38(3, Part 2), pages 755-769.
- Murillas Maza, Arantza, 2000. "Uncertainty and Real Options. Investment and Development of Fishing Resources (II)," BILTOKI 2000-02, Universidad del País Vasco - Departamento de Economía Aplicada III (Econometría y Estadística).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.