Centralized and Decentralized Decision Making in Organizations
AbstractThis article identifies a new type of cost associated with centralization. If workers are liquidity constrained, it may be less costly to motivate a worker who is allowed to work on his own idea than a worker who is forced to follow the manager's idea. Thus, it may be optimal to let workers decide on the method for doing their job even if managers have better information. This conclusion holds even if more general contracts are considered that are based on communication of information between the worker and the manager, as long as these general contracts are not entirely costless.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Labor Economics.
Volume (Year): 20 (2002)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JOLE/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Thomas Lange, 2012. "Job satisfaction and self-employment: autonomy or personality?," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 38(2), pages 165-177, February.
- Hans K. Hvide & Todd Kaplan, 2003.
"A Theory of Capital Structure with Strategic Defaults and Priority Violations,"
- Hans K. Hvide & Tore Leite, 2003. "A Theory of Capital Structure with Strategic Defaults and Priority Violations," Finance 0311003, EconWPA.
- Kameliia Petrova, 2005. "Does Motivation Trigger Autonomy, or Vice Versa?," Game Theory and Information 0510004, EconWPA, revised 13 Oct 2005.
- Czarnitzki, Dirk & Kraft, Kornelius, 2007. "Mitarbeiteranreizsysteme und Innovationserfolg," ZEW Discussion Papers 07-075, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Junichiro Ishida & Takashi Shimizu, 2012. "Asking One Too Many? Why Leaders Need to Be Decisive," ISER Discussion Paper 0857, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Anthony M. Marino & John G. Matsusaka & Jan Zabojnik, 2006.
"Disobedience and Authority,"
1109, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- repec:dgr:uvatin:2004042 is not listed on IDEAS
- Robert S. Gibbons, 2010.
"Inside Organizations: Pricing, Politics, and Path Dependence,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
661465000000000249, David K. Levine.
- Robert Gibbons, 2010. "Inside Organizations: Pricing, Politics, and Path Dependence," Annual Review of Economics, Annual Reviews, vol. 2(1), pages 337-365, 09.
- Anthony Marino & Jan Zabojnik, 2006.
"Work-Related Perks, Agency Problems, and Optimal Incentive Contracts,"
1107, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Anthony M. Marino & Ján Zábojník, 2008. "Work-related perks, agency problems, and optimal incentive contracts," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 39(2), pages 565-585.
- Czarnitzki, Dirk & Kraft, Kornelius, 2008. "Mitarbeiteranreizsysteme und Innovationserfolg (Employee suggestion schemes and innovation success)," Zeitschrift für ArbeitsmarktForschung - Journal for Labour Market Research, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany], vol. 41(2/3), pages 245-258.
- Waldman, Michael, 2007.
"Theory and evidence in internal labor markets,"
5113, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Michael Waldman, 2012.
"Theory and Evidence in Internal LaborMarkets
[The Handbook of Organizational Economics]," Introductory Chapters, Princeton University Press.
- Michael Waldman, 2012. "Theory and Evidence in Internal LaborMarkets
- Marcoul, Philippe, 2003. "A Theory of Advice Based on Information Search Incentives," Staff General Research Papers 10357, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Bester, Helmut & Krähmer, Daniel, 2013.
"Exit Options and the Allocation of Authority,"
Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems
401, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- Djedidi-Kooli, Salima, 2009. "L’accès au financement des PME en France : quel rôle joué par la structure du système bancaire ?," Economics Thesis from University Paris Dauphine, Paris Dauphine University, number 123456789/8354 edited by Etner, François, 06.
- Maria De Paola & Vincenzo Scoppa, 2009. "Task assignment, incentives and technological factors," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 30(1), pages 43-55.
- Djedidi-Kooli, Salima, 2009. "L’accès au financement des PME en France : quel rôle joué par la structure du système bancaire ?," Open Access publications from UniversitÃ© Paris-Dauphine urn:hdl:123456789/8354, Université Paris-Dauphine.
- Jordi Blanes i Vidal & Marc Möller, 2013. "Decision–Making and Implementation in Teams," CEP Discussion Papers dp1208, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Lukas ANGST & Karol Jan BOROWIECKI, 2011. "Delegation and Motivation," Trinity Economics Papers tep1611, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics.
- repec:dgr:uvatin:0000042 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.