The Effects of Shock Size and Type on Labor-Contract Duration
AbstractEmpirical studies of the relation between uncertainty and the length of union-firm contracts have focused on the effects of inflation, money-supply, or industry-specific uncertainty. This article describes two extensions of previous work. First, real, aggregate uncertainty arising from oil shocks is incorporated into a contract-duration model. Oil shocks significantly affect contract length in seven of 21 U.S. manufacturing industries. Second, the model is used to test whether the duration of reopenable bargains is positively related to uncertainty associated with large shocks, as has been described in Danziger. The evidence indicates some qualified support for this proposition. Copyright 2001 by University of Chicago Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Labor Economics.
Volume (Year): 19 (2001)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JOLE/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Louis Christofides & Amy Chen Peng, 2003.
"Contract Duration and Indexation in a Period of Real and Nominal Uncertainty,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
994, CESifo Group Munich.
- Christofides, Louis N. & Peng, Chen, 2006. "Contract duration and indexation in a period of real and nominal uncertainty," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 61-86, February.
- Christofides, L. & Peng, C., 2004. "Contract Duration and Indexation in a Period of Real and Nominal Uncertainty," Working Papers 2004-3, University of Guelph, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Danziger, Leif, 2010.
"Uniform and Nonuniform Staggering of Wage Contracts,"
IZA Discussion Papers
5023, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Danziger, Leif, 2010. "Uniform and nonuniform staggering of wage contracts," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(6), pages 1038-1049, December.
- Leif Danziger, 2010. "Uniform and Nonuniform Staggering of Wage Contracts," CESifo Working Paper Series 3112, CESifo Group Munich.
- Robert Rich & Joseph Tracy, 2004.
"Uncertainty and Labor Contract Durations,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 86(1), pages 270-287, February.
- Louis Christofides & Chen Peng, 2006. "Major Provisions of Labour Contracts and their Theoretical Coherence," CESifo Working Paper Series 1700, CESifo Group Munich.
- Danziger, Leif, 2006.
"Extension of Labor Contracts and Optimal Backpay,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2366, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.