Investment and Union Certification
AbstractUsing data on union certification elections, the authors estimate the impact of unionization on firms' investment behavior. Employing both a standard q model and an 'investment surprises' technique, they find that union certification significantly reduces investment in the year following the election. The authors find that a winning certification election has, on average, about the same effect on investment in the year following the event as would--given the elasticity measures taken from the public finance literature--a 33 percentage-point increase in the corporate tax. The magnitude of the response in years further away from the election is less certain. Copyright 1999 by University of Chicago Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Labor Economics.
Volume (Year): 17 (1999)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JOLE/
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Machin, Stephen J & Wadhwani, Sushil, 1991. "The Effects of Unions on Organisational Change and Employment," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 101(407), pages 835-54, July.
- Addison, John T & Hirsch, Barry T, 1989. "Union Effects on Productivity, Profits, and Growth: Has the Long Run Arrived?," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 7(1), pages 72-105, January.
- Jason G. Cummins & Kevin A. Hassett & R. Glenn Hubbard, 1994. "A Reconsideration of Investment Behavior Using Tax Reforms as Natural Experiments," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 25(2), pages 1-74.
- Cabalero, R.J., 1997.
97-20, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Calabuig, Vicente & Gonzalez-Maestre, Miguel, 2002. "Union structure and incentives for innovation," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 177-192, March.
- Naercio Menezes-Filho & Helio Zylberstajn & Jose Paulo Chahad & Elaine Pazello, 2002.
"Unions and the Economic Performanceof Brazilian Establishments,"
Research Department Publications
3157, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Naercio Aquino Menezes-Filho & Helio Zylberstajn & Jose Paulo Chahad & Elaine Pazello, 2002. "Unions and the Economic Performance of Brazilian Establishments," IDB Publications 42758, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Addison, John T., 2005.
"The Determinants of Firm Performance: Unions, Works Councils, and Employee Involvement/High Performance Work Practices,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1620, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- John T. Addison, 2005. "The Determinants of Firm Performance: Unions, Works Councils, and Employee Involvement/High Performance Work Practices," GEMF Working Papers 2005-03, GEMF - Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra.
- Wagner, Joachim & Schnabel, Claus & Schank, Thorsten & Addison, John T., 2005.
"Do Works Councils Inhibit Investment?,"
32, Friedrich-Alexander-University Erlangen-Nuremberg, Chair of Labour and Regional Economics.
- Campo Corredera, María Luz & Bárcena Ruiz, Juan Carlos, 2003.
"Timing of Wage Setting when Firms Invest in R&D,"
2003-14, Universidad del País Vasco - Departamento de Fundamentos del Análisis Económico I.
- Barry T. Hirsch, 2004.
"What Do Unions Do for Economic Performance?,"
Journal of Labor Research,
Transaction Publishers, vol. 25(3), pages 415-456, July.
- Addison, John T. & Heywood, John S. & Wei, Xiangdong, 2001. "Unions and Plant Closings in Britain: New Evidence from the 1990/98 WERS," IZA Discussion Papers 352, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Gavin Cameron & Chris Wallace, 2002.
"Macroeconomic Performance in the Bretton Woods Era and After,"
Oxford Review of Economic Policy,
Oxford University Press, vol. 18(4), pages 479-494.
- Gavin Cameron & Chris Wallace, 2002. "Macroeconomic Performance in the Bretton Woods Era, And After," Economics Series Working Papers 130, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Thomas J. Holmes, 2006.
"Geographic Spillover of Unionism,"
NBER Working Papers
12025, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Budd & Yijiang Wang, . "Labor Policy and Investment," Working Papers 0502, Human Resources and Labor Studies, University of Minnesota (Twin Cities Campus).
- Chen, Yan-Shing & Chen, I-Ju, 2013. "The impact of labor unions on investment-cash flow sensitivity," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(7), pages 2408-2418.
- Fang, Tony & Ge, Ying, 2012. "Unions and firm innovation in China: Synergy or strife?," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 170-180.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.