Mandatory Notice and Unemployment
AbstractThe authors use newly available data from the Ontario Ministry of Labour to estimate the effects of advance notification of permanent layoff on unemployment durations. While notice is strongly negatively correlated with unemployment in the raw data, most of this effect disappears when they control for personal characteristics and when they correct for endogeneity of notice by using only its cross-firm variation to identify its effects. Overall, while short notice intervals can have a substantial effect on the probability of experiencing a short unemployment spell, the authors find that even very long notice intervals have little impact on long-term unemployment. Copyright 1995 by University of Chicago Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Labor Economics.
Volume (Year): 13 (1995)
Issue (Month): 4 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JOLE/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Guido Schwerdt, 2008.
"Labor Turnover before Plant Closure: ‘Leaving the Sinking Ship’ vs. ‘Captain Throwing Ballast Overboard’,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2252, CESifo Group Munich.
- Schwerdt, Guido, 2011. "Labor turnover before plant closure: "Leaving the sinking ship" vs. "Captain throwing ballast overboard"," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 93-101, January.
- Guido Schwerdt, 2007. "Labor Turnover before Plant Closure:'Leaving the sinking ship' vs. 'Captain throwing ballast overboard'," Economics Working Papers ECO2007/22, European University Institute.
- Carlson, Kyle, 2014. "Fear itself: The effects of distressing economic news on birth outcomes," MPRA Paper 56560, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- David Gray & Gilles Grenier, 1998. "Jobless Durations of Displaced Workers: A Comparison of Canada and the United States," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 24(s1), pages 152-169, February.
- Andreas Hornstein & Mingwei Yuan, 1998.
"Can a matching model explain the long-run increase in Canada's unemployment rate?,"
98-02, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond.
- Andreas Hornstein & Mingwei Yuan, 1999. "Can a Matching Model Explain the Long-Run Increase in Canada's Unemployment Rate?," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 32(4), pages 878-905, August.
- Hornstein, Andreas & Yuan, Mingwei, 1998. "Can a Matching Model Explain the Long-Run Increase in Canada's Unemployment Rate?," Working Papers 98-19, Bank of Canada.
- Mark Harcourt & Maureen Hannay & Helen Lam, 2013. "Distributive Justice, Employment-at-Will and Just-Cause Dismissal," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 115(2), pages 311-325, June.
- Kahn, Lawrence M., 2009.
"Temporary Jobs and Job Search Effort in Europe,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4020, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Friesen, Jane, 2005. "Statutory firing costs and lay-offs in Canada," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 147-168, April.
- Riddell, W. Craig, 2009. "Economic Change and Worker Displacement in Canada: Consequences and Policy Responses," CLSSRN working papers clsrn_admin-2009-41, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 22 Jul 2009.
- Audra Bowlus & Lars Vilhuber, 2002.
"Displaced workers, early leavers, and re-employment wages,"
10th International Conference on Panel Data, Berlin, July 5-6, 2002
C1-1, International Conferences on Panel Data.
- Audra Bowlus & Lars Vilhuber, 2002. "Displaced workers, early leavers, and re-employment wages," Longitudinal Employer-Household Dynamics Technical Papers 2002-18, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Audra Bowlus & Lars Vilhuber, 2001. "Displaced Workers, Early Leavers, and Re-employment Wages," University of Western Ontario, CIBC Centre for Human Capital and Productivity Working Papers 20015, University of Western Ontario, CIBC Centre for Human Capital and Productivity.
- Kuhn, Peter & Sweetman, Arthur, 1999.
"Vulnerable Seniors: Unions, Tenure, and Wages Following Permanent Job Loss,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 17(4), pages 671-93, October.
- Peter Kuhn & Arthur Sweetman, . "Vulnerable Seniors: Unions, Tenure and Wages Following Permanent Job Loss," Canadian International Labour Network Working Papers 20, McMaster University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.