Union Effects on Municipal Employment and Wages: A Longitudinal Approach
AbstractThis article examines municipal union employment and wage effects in a sample of police, fire, sanitation, streets and highways, and finance and control departments from approximately 900 U.S. cities during 1977-80. Cross-section results for 1980 suggest positive union contract effects on fire fighter and sanitation employment and wages, consistent with demand shifts due to union political influence in municipal bargaining. The author then models potential omitted variables as nonstationary fixed effects and applies longitudinal models to estimation of employment and wage changes between 1977 and 1980. The longitudinal results provide little support for the demand shift hypothesis. Copyright 1993 by University of Chicago Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Labor Economics.
Volume (Year): 11 (1993)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JOLE/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Cunningham, Wendy V., 2001. "Breadwinner or caregiver? - how household role affectslabor choices in Mexico," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2743, The World Bank.
- David Brownstone & Robert Valletta, 2001. "The Bootstrap and Multiple Imputations: Harnessing Increased Computing Power for Improved Statistical Tests," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 15(4), pages 129-141, Fall.
- Falch, Torberg & Strom, Bjarne, 2007.
"Wage bargaining and monopsony,"
Elsevier, vol. 94(2), pages 202-207, February.
- Gregory, Robert G. & Borland, Jeff, 1999. "Recent developments in public sector labor markets," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 53, pages 3573-3630 Elsevier.
- Bahman Bahrami & John Bitzan & Jay Leitch, 2009. "Union Worker Wage Effect in the Public Sector," Journal of Labor Research, Springer, vol. 30(1), pages 35-51, March.
- Falch, Torberg, 2001. "Collective bargaining in the public sector and the role of budget determination," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 75-99, March.
- Anne Lauringson, 2010. "Measuring Union Bargaining Power In The Estonian Public Sector," University of Tartu - Faculty of Economics and Business Administration Working Paper Series 72, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, University of Tartu (Estonia).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.