Changes in Postsecondary Choices by Ability and Income: Evidence from the National Longitudinal Surveys of Youth
AbstractWe characterize changes over time in the choices high school graduates make concerning 2-year attendance, 4-year attendance, and college nonattendance across the joint income and ability distribution. We find that college nonattendance decreased substantially between cohorts for both men and women and that these declines were larger for higher-ability students. On the 2-year/4-year margin, there is evidence of growing ability constraints among women. Furthermore, income has become more important among higher-ability men, and increases in 2-year attendance among high-ability but low-income men come at the expense of 4-year college enrollment. State-level college costs explain little of the changes we document.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Human Capital.
Volume (Year): 5 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Pages: 70 - 109
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JHC/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gonzalo Castex & Evgenia Dechter, 2013. "The Changing Roles of Education and Ability in Wage Determination," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 704, Central Bank of Chile.
- Lance Lochner & Alexander Monge-Naranjo, 2012.
"Credit Constraints in Education,"
Annual Review of Economics,
Annual Reviews, vol. 4(1), pages 225-256, 07.
- Lance Lochner & Alexander Monge-Naranjo, 2011. "Credit Constraints in Education," Working Papers 2011-036, Human Capital and Economic Opportunity Working Group.
- Lance Lochner & Alexander Monge-Naranjo, 2011. "Credit Constraints in Education," NBER Working Papers 17435, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lance Lochner & Alexander Monge-Naranjo, 2012. "Credit Constraints in Education," University of Western Ontario, CIBC Centre for Human Capital and Productivity Working Papers 20121, University of Western Ontario, CIBC Centre for Human Capital and Productivity.
- Robert B. Archibald & David H. Feldman & Peter McHenry, 2014. "A Quality-Preserving Increase in Four-Year College Attendance: Evidence from NLS-72 and ELS:2002," Working Papers 147, Department of Economics, College of William and Mary.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.