How Effective are Trade Barriers? An Empirical Analysis of Trade Reduction, Diversion, and Compression
AbstractWe analyze the effects of trade barriers using highly disaggregated data. The level of disaggregation allows us to separate the effects of tariffs and nontariff barriers (NTBs) into reduction, diversion, and compression effects. We find that multilateral tariffs significantly reduce trade flows and that trade preferences have a significant diverting effect. We also find that higher multilateral tariffs tend to shift trade towards larger exporters, suggesting that the desire to minimize fixed costs associated with trading dominates any preference for variety. In the case of NTBs, we find that, as often as not, the imposition of an NTB leads to an increase in the value of trade; in industries with low import demand elasticities, the influence of rising prices outweighs the decline in quantity. © 2003 President and Fellows of Harvard College and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Review of Economics and Statistics.
Volume (Year): 85 (2003)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Li, Yuan & Beghin, John C., 2012.
"A meta-analysis of estimates of the impact of technical barriers to trade,"
Journal of Policy Modeling,
Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 497-511.
- Li, Yuan & Beghin, John C., 2010. "A Meta-Analysis of Estimates of the Impact of Technical Barriers to Trade," Staff General Research Papers 31968, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Van Marrewijk, Charles & Berden, Koen G., 2007. "On the static and dynamic costs of trade restrictions for small developing countries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 46-60, September.
- Lionel Fontagné & Thierry Mayer & Soledad Zignago, 2004.
"Trade in the Triad: How Easy is the Access to Large Markets?,"
2004-04, CEPII research center.
- Lionel Fontagné & Thierry Mayer & Soledad Zignago, 2005. "Trade in the Triad: how easy is the access to large markets?," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 38(4), pages 1401-1430, November.
- Zignago, Soledad & Fontagné, Lionel & Mayer, Thierry, 2005. "Trade in the Triad: how easy is the access to large markets?," Open Access publications from Sciences Po info:hdl:2441/10189, Sciences Po.
- Soledad Zignago & Lionel Fontagné & Thierry Mayer, 2005. "Trade in the Triad: how easy is the access to large markets?," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/10189, Sciences Po.
- Fontagne, Lionel & Mayer, Thierry & Zignago, Soledad, 2004. "Trade in the Triad: How Easy is the Access to Large Markets?," CEPR Discussion Papers 4442, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jugurnath, Bhavish & Stewart, Mark & Brooks, Robert, 2007. "Asia/Pacific Regional Trade Agreements: An empirical study," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(6), pages 974-987, December.
- Bas, Maria & Ledezma, Ivan, 2009.
"Trade Integration in Manufacturing : The Chilean Experience,"
Open Access publications from UniversitÃ© Paris-Dauphine
urn:hdl:123456789/6912, Université Paris-Dauphine.
- Maria Bas & Ivan Ledezma, 2007. "Trade integration in manufacturing: the Chilean experience," PSE Working Papers halshs-00587677, HAL.
- Lionel Fontagne & Soledad Zignago, 2007. "A Re-evaluation of the Impact of Regional Agreements on Trade Patterns," Economie Internationale, CEPII research center, issue 109, pages 31-51.
- Soledad Zignago & Thierry Mayer, 2005.
"Market Access in Global and Regional Trade,"
Sciences Po publications
2005-02, Sciences Po.
- de Sousa, J. & Mayer, T. & Zignago, S., 2011. "Market access in global and regional trade," Working papers 358, Banque de France.
- Thierry Mayer & Soledad Zignago, 2005. "Market Access in Global and Regional Trade," Working Papers 2005-02, CEPII research center.
- De Sousa, José & Mayer, Thierry & Zignago, Soledad, 2012. "Market Access in Global and Regional Trade," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Docweb) 1201, CEPREMAP.
- De Sousa, Jose & Mayer, Thierry & Zignago, Soledad, 2011. "Market access in global and regional trade," MPRA Paper 35602, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- de Sousa, José & Mayer, Thierry & Zignago, Soledad, 2012. "Market Access in Global and Regional Trade," CEPR Discussion Papers 9085, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- I. Buono & G. Lalanne, 2009.
"The Effect of the Uruguay round on the Intensive and Extensive Margins of Trade,"
Documents de Travail de la DESE - Working Papers of the DESE
g2009-15, Institut National de la Statistique et des Etudes Economiques, DESE.
- Buono, Ines & Lalanne, Guy, 2012. "The effect of the Uruguay round on the intensive and extensive margins of trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 86(2), pages 269-283.
- Ines Buono & Guy Lalanne, 2010. "The effect of the Uruguay Round on the intensive and extensive margins of trade," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 743, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Haveman, Jon D. & Shatz, Howard J., 2003. "Developed Country Trade Barriers and the Least Developed Countries: The Economic Results of Freeing Trade," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.