Hospital Cost Function In A Non-Market Health Care System
AbstractThis paper examines whether a competitive model of the firm appropriately describes the behavior of hospitals in a non-market environment. This test is based on the best database yet available in the hospital sector. We show that properties of the non-market hospitals'cost functions are compatible with short-term, but not long-term, cost-minimizing behavior. This is consistent with results of similar analyses in the U.S. hospital market and suggests that Québec hospitals, which operate in a non-market environment, might not behave fundamentally differently from their U.S. counterparts. © 2000 by the President and Fellows of Harvard College and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal The Review of Economics and Statistics.
Volume (Year): 82 (2000)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Heimeshoff, Mareike & Schreyögg, Jonas, 2013. "Estimation of a physician practice cost function," hche Research Papers, Hamburg Center for Health Economics (hche), University of Hamburg 2013/07, Hamburg Center for Health Economics (hche), University of Hamburg.
- Ouellette, Pierre & Vierstraete, Valerie, 2004. "Technological change and efficiency in the presence of quasi-fixed inputs: A DEA application to the hospital sector," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 154(3), pages 755-763, May.
- Jean-Philippe Boussemart & Hervé Leleu & Viviane Valdmanis, 2013. "Price of Medicaid and Uncompensated Care compared to Medicare and Private care: A translog shadow pricing approach for Floridian hospital outputs," Working Papers, IESEG School of Management 2013-ECO-02, IESEG School of Management.
- Simona VASILACHE & Mihaela Cornelia PREJMEREAN, 2008. "Estimation of the Romanian hospitals efficiency in relation to hospital market competition," Management & Marketing, Economic Publishing House, Economic Publishing House, vol. 3(3), Autumn.
- P. Prezerakos & N. Maniadakis & D. Kaitelidou & N. Kotsopoulos & J. Yfantopoulos, 2007. "Measuring Across Hospital Efficiency and Productivity: The Case of Second Regional Health Authority of Attica," European Research Studies Journal, European Research Studies Journal, European Research Studies Journal, vol. 0(1-2), pages 83-96.
- Piacenza, Massimiliano & Turati, Gilberto & Vannoni, Davide, 2010. "Restructuring hospital industry to control public health care expenditure: The role of input substitutability," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 881-890, July.
- Prüfer, J., 2007.
"Competition and Mergers among Nonprofits,"
Discussion Paper, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center
2007-022, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Prüfer, J., 2007. "Competition and Mergers among Nonprofits," Discussion Paper, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research 2007-82, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Prüfer, J., 2011. "Competition and mergers among nonprofits," Open Access publications from Tilburg University, Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-4260816, Tilburg University.
- Cremieux, Pierre-Yves & Ouellette, Pierre, 2001. "Omitted variable bias and hospital costs," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 271-282, March.
- Pedro Barros & Sara Machado, 2010. "Money for nothing?," Health Care Management Science, Springer, Springer, vol. 13(3), pages 234-255, September.
- Crémieux, Pierre-Yves & Gadbois, Denis & Ouellette, Pierre, 1998. "Une analyse de la performance des CLSC au Québec," L'Actualité Economique, Société Canadienne de Science Economique, Société Canadienne de Science Economique, vol. 74(2), pages 157-181, juin.
- Cohen, Jeffrey P. & Morrison Paul, Catherine, 2008. "Agglomeration and Cost Economies for Washington State Hospital Services," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 553-564, November.
- Kathleen Carey & Theodore Stefos, 2011. "Controlling for quality in the hospital cost function," Health Care Management Science, Springer, Springer, vol. 14(2), pages 125-134, June.
- Marcelin Joanis & David Boisclair & Claude Montmarquette, 2004. "La santé au Québec : des options pour financer la croissance," CIRANO Project Reports, CIRANO 2004rp-04, CIRANO.
- Mike Smet, 2007. "Measuring performance in the presence of stochastic demand for hospital services: an analysis of Belgian general care hospitals," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 13-29, February.
- Benoit Dervaux & Gary Ferrier & Herve Leleu & Vivian Valdmanis, 2004. "Comparing French and US hospital technologies: a directional input distance function approach," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(10), pages 1065-1081.
- Ollinger, Michael & Ralston, Katherine L. & Guthrie, Joanne F., 2011. "School Breakfast and Lunch Costs: Are There Economies of Scale?," 2011 Annual Meeting, July 24-26, 2011, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association 103191, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.