Firm-Specific Determinants of the Real Wage
AbstractBargaining models suggest that firm-specific variables play an important role in wage determination. Yet previous empirical studies of wage determination have largely ignored these variables. The authors' analysis of a large panel data set of U.S. wage contracts suggests that firm-specific variables suggested by bargaining models, such as the value of sales, the capital-labor ratio, and the financial liquidity of the firm, are important determinants of negotiated real wages. Copyright 1992 by MIT Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Review of Economics & Statistics.
Volume (Year): 74 (1992)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
Other versions of this item:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Budd, John W & Konings, Jozef & Slaughter, Matthew, 2002.
"International Rent Sharing in Multinational Firms,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3326, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- John W. Budd & Josef Konings & Matthew J. Slaughter, 2002. "International Rent Sharing in Multinational Firms," NBER Working Papers 8809, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John W. Budd & Jozef Konings & Matthew J. Slaughter, . "International Rent Sharing in Multinational Firms," Working Papers 0202, Human Resources and Labor Studies, University of Minnesota (Twin Cities Campus).
- A. R. Cardoso, 2000. "Wage differentials across firms: an application of multilevel modelling," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(4), pages 343-354.
- Smith, J.C., 1996. "Bargaining Power and Local Labour Market Influences on Wage Determination," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 455, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Comin, Diego & Groshen, Erica L. & Rabin, Bess, 2009.
"Turbulent firms, turbulent wages?,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 109-133, January.
- Budd, John W. & Konings, Jozef & Slaughter, Matthew J., 2002.
"Wages and International Rent Sharing in Multinational Firms,"
IZA Discussion Papers
560, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- John W. Budd & Jozef Konings & Matthew J. Slaughter, 2005. "Wages and International Rent Sharing in Multinational Firms," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 87(1), pages 73-84, February.
- John W. Budd & Jozef Konings & Matthew J. Slaughter, 2002. "Wages and International Rent Sharing in Multinational Firms," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 522, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- H. Naci Mocan & Deborah Viola, 1997. "The Determinants of Child Care Workers' Wages and Compensation: Sectoral Differences, Human Capital, Race, Insiders and Outsiders," NBER Working Papers 6328, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Manning, Alan, 2011.
"Imperfect Competition in the Labor Market,"
Handbook of Labor Economics,
- S. Dobbelaere, 2003. "Ownership, Firm Size and Rent Sharing in a Transition Country," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 03/170, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- John W. Budd & Matthew J.Slaughter, 2000. "Are Profits Shared Across Borders? Evidence on International Rent Sharing," NBER Working Papers 8014, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dobbelaere, Sabien, 2004. "Ownership, firm size and rent sharing in Bulgaria," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 165-189, April.
- Jennifer C. Smith, 1996. "Effet du pouvoir de négociation et du marché local du travail sur la détermination des salaires," Économie et Prévision, Programme National Persée, vol. 126(5), pages 1-17.
- Coles, Melvyn & Smith, Eric, 1998. "Strategic bargaining with firm inventories," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 35-54, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.