Intra-urban Mobility, Migration, and Tenure Choice
AbstractThis analysis develops a model in which, for the first time, households' mobility decisions are separated into intra-urban movements and migrations. These two mobility decisions and the households' tenure (own/rent) choice are estimated as part of a multinomial logit framework and are found to be jointly determined. The literature suggests that the intra-urban mobility and migration decisions are motivated by quite different factors. Consequently, by separating the two choices for the purpose of estimation, each equation can be specified more correctly. In addition, variables which affect migration can be shown to have an impact on intra-urban mobility and tenure choice which would otherwise be ignored. Copyright 1991 by MIT Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Review of Economics & Statistics.
Volume (Year): 73 (1991)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Nechyba, Thomas J. & Strauss, Robert P., 1998.
"Community choice and local public services: A discrete choice approach,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 51-73, January.
- Thomas J. Nechyba & Robert P. Strauss, 1997. "Community Choice and Local Public Services: A Discrete Choice Approach," NBER Working Papers 5966, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Maude Toussaint-Comeau & Sherrie L.W. Rhine, 2003. "Tenure choice with location selection: the case of Hispanic neighborhoods in Chicago," Working Paper Series WP-03-05, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Earnhart, Dietrich, 2002. "Combining Revealed and Stated Data to Examine Housing Decisions Using Discrete Choice Analysis," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(1), pages 143-169, January.
- Michaelides, Marios, 2009.
"The effect of local ties, wages, and housing costs on migration decisions,"
20379, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Michaelides, Marios, 2011. "The effect of local ties, wages, and housing costs on migration decisions," The Journal of Socio-Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 132-140, April.
- OzyIldIrIm, Suheyla & Onder, Zeynep & Yavas, Abdullah, 2005. "Mobility and optimal tenure choice," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 336-354, December.
- Painter, Gary, 2000. "Tenure Choice with Sample Selection: Differences among Alternative Samples," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 197-213, September.
- Gary Engelhardt, 2001. "Nominal Loss Aversion, Housing Equity Constraints, and Household Mobility: Evidence from the United States," Center for Policy Research Working Papers 42, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Painter, Gary & Gabriel, Stuart & Myers, Dowell, 2001. "Race, Immigrant Status, and Housing Tenure Choice," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 150-167, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.