Kalecki Versus Keynes on the Determinants of Investment
AbstractThis paper explores the differences between the investment theories of Michal Kalecki and John Maynard Keynes. We argue that Kalecki's ideas (and empirical support for them) are necessary for Keynes's arguments regarding the determination of the level of effective demand. Kalecki's theory of the role of finance in investment also provides a fuller understanding of the importance of liquidity concerns for Keynesian theory and connects the theory of effective demand to the logic of capitalism.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Review of Political Economy.
Volume (Year): 11 (1999)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CRPE20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert E. Carpenter & Steven M. Fazzari & Bruce C. Petersen, 1994. "Inventory (Dis)Investment, Internal Finance Fluctuations, and the Business Cycle," Macroeconomics 9401001, EconWPA.
- Steven Fazzari & R. Glenn Hubbard & Bruce C. Petersen, 1987.
"Financing Constraints and Corporate Investment,"
NBER Working Papers
2387, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- A. Asimakopulos, 1990. "Kalecki and Keynes: Their Correspondence," History of Political Economy, Duke University Press, vol. 22(1), pages 49-63, Spring.
- Steven M. Fazzari & Bruce C. Petersen, 1993. "Working Capital and Fixed Investment: New Evidence on Financing Constraints," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 24(3), pages 328-342, Autumn.
- Julio Lòpez Gallardo, 2012. "Una riconsiderazione degli studi da Kalecki sull'economia statunitense," Moneta e Credito, Economia civile, vol. 65(257), pages 59-81.
- Tamotsu Nakamura, 2002. "'The Principle of Increasing Risk': Kalecki's investment theory revisited," Review of Political Economy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(1), pages 115-123.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.