Spatial variations in intergenerational transmission of self-employment
AbstractNiittykangas H. and Tervo H. (2005) Spatial variations in intergenerational transmission of self-employment, Regional Studies 39 , 319-332. Intergenerational transfers of human and non-human capital may motivate children to follow their self-employed parent. This paper analyses occupational inheritance among self-employed families in Finland. Longitudinal micro data from 1970-99 are exploited. The sample consists of children aged 0-14 years in 1970. The results show that having an entrepreneurial family background strengthens the probability of entering self-employment. The results confirm the notion of the importance of the local environment for self-employment. They also offer some evidence for the hypothesis that intergenerational transmission of self-employment is an explanation for spatial differences in self-employment.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Regional Studies.
Volume (Year): 39 (2005)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CRES20
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- JEL - Labor and Demographic Economics - - - - -
- cla - - - - - -
- J23 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Demand
- J24 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Human Capital; Skills; Occupational Choice; Labor Productivity
- J62 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Job, Occupational and Intergenerational Mobility; Promotion
- M13 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration - - - New Firms; Startups
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ritsila, Jari & Tervo, Hannu, 2002.
" Effects of Unemployment on New Firm Formation: Micro-level Panel Data Evidence from Finland,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 19(1), pages 31-40, August.
- Tervo, Hannu & Ritsilä, Jari, 2000. "Effects Of Unemployment On New Firm Formation:Micro-Level Panel Data Evidence From Finland," ERSA conference papers ersa00p88, European Regional Science Association.
- Blanchflower, D.G. & Oswald, A., 1991.
"What Makes an Entrepreneur?,"
Economics Series Working Papers
99125, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Blanchflower, David G., 2000.
"Self-employment in OECD countries,"
Elsevier, vol. 7(5), pages 471-505, September.
- Timothy Bates, 1997.
"Survival Patterns Among Newcomers to Franchising,"
97-1, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Bernard F. Lentz & David N. Laband, 1990. "Entrepreneurial Success and Occupational Inheritance among Proprietors," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 23(3), pages 563-79, August.
- Hannu Tervo & Hannu Niittykangas, 2011. "Self-employment transitions at older ages in different local labor markets," ERSA conference papers ersa11p764, European Regional Science Association.
- Mika Haapanen & Hannu Tervo, 2009.
"Self-employment duration in urban and rural locations,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(19), pages 2449-2461.
- Hannu Tervo & Mika Haapanen, 2005. "Self-employment duration in urban and rural locations," ERSA conference papers ersa05p315, European Regional Science Association.
- Darja Reuschke, 2011. "Self-Employment and Geographical Mobility in Germany," SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research 417, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- Anu Tokila & Hannu Tervo, 2011. "Regional differences in returns to education for entrepreneurs versus wage earners," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 47(3), pages 689-710, December.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Sari Pekkala Kerr & William R. Kerr, 2012.
"Entrepreneurship and Urban Growth: An Empirical Assessment with Historical Mines,"
Harvard Business School Working Papers
13-015, Harvard Business School.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Sari Pekkala Kerr & William R. Kerr, 2012. "Entrepreneurship and Urban Growth: An Empirical Assessment with Historical Mines," NBER Working Papers 18333, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Sari Pekkala Kerr & William R. Kerr, 2013. "Entrepreneurship And Urban Growth:An Empirical Assessment With Historical Mines," Working Papers 13-15, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Román, Concepción & Congregado, Emilio & Millán, José María, 2013. "Start-up incentives: Entrepreneurship policy or active labour market programme?," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 151-175.
- Hannu Tervo & Mika Haapanen, 2006. "Gender Differences in Self-Employment in Finnish Regions," ERSA conference papers ersa06p380, European Regional Science Association.
- Hannu Tervo, 2006. "Regional unemployment, self-employment and family background," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(9), pages 1055-1062.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.