Multi-asset spread option pricing and hedging
AbstractWe provide two new closed-form approximation methods for pricing spread options on a basket of risky assets: the extended Kirk approximation and the second-order boundary approximation. The latter method generalizes the results in Li et al. [J. Deriv., 2008, 15, 58-80] to spread options on an arbitrary number of assets. Numerical analysis shows that while the latter method is more accurate than the former, both methods are extremely fast and accurate. Closed-form approximations for important Greeks are also derived. Our approximation methods enable the accurate pricing of a bulk volume of spread options on a large number of assets in real time, which offers traders a potential edge in a dynamic market environment.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Quantitative Finance.
Volume (Year): 10 (2010)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RQUF20
Other versions of this item:
- G13 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Contingent Pricing; Futures Pricing
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Johnson, Shane A. & Tian, Yisong S., 2000. "Indexed executive stock options," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(1), pages 35-64, July.
- Li, Minqiang, 2008. "Closed-Form Approximations for Spread Option Prices and Greeks," MPRA Paper 6994, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jarrow, Robert & Rudd, Andrew, 1982. "Approximate option valuation for arbitrary stochastic processes," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 347-369, November.
- Li, Minqiang, 2007. "The Impact of Return Nonnormality on Exchange Options," MPRA Paper 7020, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Margrabe, William, 1978. "The Value of an Option to Exchange One Asset for Another," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 33(1), pages 177-86, March.
- Tommaso Paletta & Arturo Leccadito & Radu Tunaru, 2013. "Pricing and Hedging Basket Options with Exact Moment Matching," Papers 1312.4443, arXiv.org.
- Li, Minqiang & Mercurio, Fabio, 2013. "Closed-Form Approximation of Timer Option Prices under General Stochastic Volatility Models," MPRA Paper 47465, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.