Closed-Form Approximations for Spread Option Prices and Greeks
AbstractWe develop a new closed-form approximation method for pricing spread options. Numerical analysis shows that our method is more accurate than existing analytical approximations. Our method is also extremely fast, with computing time more than two orders of magnitude shorter than one-dimensional numerical integration. We also develop closed-form approximations for the greeks of spread options. In addition, we analyze the price sensitivities of spread options and provide lower and upper bounds for digital spread options. Our method enables the accurate pricing of a bulk volume of spread options with different specifications in real time, which offers traders a potential edge in financial markets. The closed-form approximations of greeks serve as valuable tools in financial applications such as dynamic hedging and value-at-risk calculations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 6994.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C6 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing; Trading Volume; Bond Interest Rates
- G13 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Contingent Pricing; Futures Pricing
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-02-09 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vicky Henderson & David Hobson & William Shaw & Rafal Wojakowski, 2003. "Bounds for Floating-Strike Asian Options using Symmetry," OFRC Working Papers Series 2003mf04, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Alexander Kushpel, 2014. "Pricing of basket options I," Papers 1401.1856, arXiv.org.
- Minqiang Li & Jieyun Zhou & Shi-Jie Deng, 2010.
"Multi-asset spread option pricing and hedging,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(3), pages 305-324.
- Elisa Alòs & Jorge A. León, 2013. "On the closed-form approximation of short-time random strike options," Economics Working Papers 1347, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Carol Alexander & Aanand Venkatramanan, 2007.
"Analytic Approximations for Spread Options,"
ICMA Centre Discussion Papers in Finance
icma-dp2007-11, Henley Business School, Reading University.
- Li, Minqiang & Mercurio, Fabio, 2013. "Closed-Form Approximation of Timer Option Prices under General Stochastic Volatility Models," MPRA Paper 47465, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tommaso Paletta & Arturo Leccadito & Radu Tunaru, 2013. "Pricing and Hedging Basket Options with Exact Moment Matching," Papers 1312.4443, arXiv.org.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.