Productivity growth and convergence across China's industrial economy
AbstractUsing a firm-level data set for 1998 and 2005 including all of China's 'above designated size' enterprises that together account for more than 85% of China's industrial output, this paper investigates three issues. One key issue in China's industrial system is the extent to which growth has been driven by productivity change. A second issue is the relative productivity performance of enterprises of different ownership types, including a comparison of state-owned versus various forms of non-state ownership. The third issue is whether productivity across China's key regions-coast, northeast, central, and west-exhibits convergence or divergence. One key finding that cuts across all three issues is the exceptional contribution to productivity growth made by exiting and entering firms, much of which is associated with restructuring. During 1998-2005, the phenomenon of firm exit and entry contributed substantially to China's overall industrial productivity growth, to the relatively rapid growth of state industry productivity, and to substantial productivity catch-up with the coastal region by many of the interior provinces.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Journal of Chinese Economic and Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 6 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RCEA20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sun, Churen & Yu, Zhihao & Zhang, Tao, 2012. "Agglomeration and Trade with Heterogeneous Firms," MPRA Paper 49001, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 17 Aug 2013.
- Jie Zhang, 2013. "Infrastructure, Industrial Productivity and Regional Specialization in China," Keio/Kyoto Joint Global COE Discussion Paper Series 2012-034, Keio/Kyoto Joint Global COE Program.
- Anwar, Sajid & Sun, Sizhong, 2012. "Trade liberalisation, market competition and wage inequality in China's manufacturing sector," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 1268-1277.
- Andersson, Fredrik N.G. & Edgerton, David L. & Opper, Sonja, 2013.
"A Matter of Time: Revisiting Growth Convergence in China,"
Elsevier, vol. 45(C), pages 239-251.
- Andersson, Fredrik N. G. & Edgerton, David & Opper, Sonja, 2011. "A Matter of Time: Revisiting Growth Convergence in China," Working Papers 2011:23, Lund University, Department of Economics, revised 01 Mar 2012.
- Miaojie Yu, 2010.
"Processing Trade, Firms Productivity, and Tariff Reductions : Evidence from Chinese Products,"
Trade Working Papers
22873, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Miaojie Yu, 2010. "Processing Trade, Firm's Productivity, and Tariff Reductions : Evidence from Chinese Products," Macroeconomics Working Papers 22799, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Brandt, Loren & Van Biesebroeck, Johannes & Zhang, Yifan, 2012.
"Creative accounting or creative destruction? Firm-level productivity growth in Chinese manufacturing,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 97(2), pages 339-351.
- Loren Brandt & Johannes Van Biesebroeck & Yifan Zhang, 2009. "Creative Accounting or Creative Destruction? Firm-level Productivity Growth in Chinese Manufacturing," NBER Working Papers 15152, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lin, Ping & Liu, Zhuomin & Zhang, Yifan, 2009. "Do Chinese domestic firms benefit from FDI inflow?: Evidence of horizontal and vertical spillovers," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 677-691, December.
- Zhiyuan Li & Miaojie Yu, 2009. "Exports, Productivity, and Credit Constraints: A Firm-Level Empirical Investigation of China," Global COE Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series gd09-098, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Xu, Cheng-Gang, 2010. "The Institutional Foundations of China’s Reforms and Development," CEPR Discussion Papers 7654, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dahai Fu & Yanrui Wu & Yihong Tang, 2011.
"Does Innovation Matter for Chinese High-Tech Exports? A Firm-Level Analysis,"
Economics Discussion / Working Papers
11-21, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
- Fu, Dahai & Wu, Yanrui & Tang, Yihong, 2010. "Does innovation matter for Chinese hightech exports? a firm-level analysis," MPRA Paper 30012, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- repec:ner:leuven:urn:hdl:123456789/298767 is not listed on IDEAS
- Zhiyuan Li & Miaojie Yu, 2009. "Exports, Productivity, and Credit Constraints : A FirmÃ¢â‚¬ÂLevel Empirical Investigation of China," Trade Working Papers 22888, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Chen, Shiyi & Jefferson, Gary H. & Zhang, Jun, 2011. "Structural change, productivity growth and industrial transformation in China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 133-150, March.
- Sun, Sizhong, 2009. "The role of foreign firms in domestic exporting," MPRA Paper 18486, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- repec:ner:leuven:urn:hdl:123456789/253791 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.