Transport costs and trade: Empirical evidence for Latin American imports from the European union
AbstractThis paper aims to investigate the relationship between trade flows and transport costs. In previous studies the cost of transport was considered as an exogenous variable. However, an expanding volume of trade also reduces the unit cost of transport and, therefore, the causal relationship between trade and transport costs may be operating in both directions. A transport-costs equation is estimated using data on transportation costs from the International Transport Data Base (BTI). The relationship between transport costs and trade is then analysed by applying a gravity model for sectoral imports for five Latin American Countries from the European Union. We investigate the endogeneity of the transport cost and trade variables by estimating simultaneously both equations. Our results show that, while higher distance and poor importer's infrastructure notably increase transport costs, a higher volume of trade has the opposite effect. Moreover, trade is significantly deterred by higher transport costs and fostered by cultural similarities.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor and Francis Journals in its journal The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development.
Volume (Year): 14 (2005)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://taylorandfrancis.metapress.com/link.asp?target=journal&id=104717
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bergstrand, Jeffrey H, 1989. "The Generalized Gravity Equation, Monopolistic Competition, and the Factor-Proportions Theory in International Trade," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(1), pages 143-53, February.
- Dollar, David & Micco, Alejandro & Clark, Ximena, 2002. "Maritime transport costs and port efficiency," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2781, The World Bank.
- Anderson, James E, 1979. "A Theoretical Foundation for the Gravity Equation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(1), pages 106-16, March.
- Baier, Scott L. & Bergstrand, Jeffrey H., 2001. "The growth of world trade: tariffs, transport costs, and income similarity," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 1-27, February.
- Bergstrand, Jeffrey H, 1985. "The Gravity Equation in International Trade: Some Microeconomic Foundations and Empirical Evidence," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 67(3), pages 474-81, August.
- Limao, Nuno & Venables, Anthony J., 1999. "Infrastructure, geographical disadvantage, and transport costs," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2257, The World Bank.
- James E. Rauch, 1996.
"Networks versus Markets in International Trade,"
NBER Working Papers
5617, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2000.
"Gravity with Gravitas: A Solution to the Border Puzzle,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
485, Boston College Department of Economics.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2003. "Gravity with Gravitas: A Solution to the Border Puzzle," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(1), pages 170-192, March.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2001. "Gravity with Gravitas: A Solution to the Border Puzzle," NBER Working Papers 8079, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G., 1993. "Estimation and Inference in Econometrics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195060119.
- Inmaculada Martínez-Zarzoso & Sami Bensassi, 2011. "The price of modern maritime piracy," Ibero America Institute for Econ. Research (IAI) Discussion Papers 213, Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research.
- Richard Pomfret & Patricia Sourdin, 2010. "Trade Facilitation And The Measurement Of Trade Costs," Journal of International Commerce, Economics and Policy (JICEP), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 1(01), pages 145-163.
- Harald Oberhofer & Michael Pfaffermayr, 2008.
"FDI versus Exports Substitutes or Complements? A Three Nations Model and Empirical Evidence,"
FIW Working Paper series
- Harald Oberhofer & Michael Pfaffermayr, . "FDI versus Exports. Substitutes or Complements? A Three Nation Model and Empirical Evidence," Working Papers 2007-28, Faculty of Economics and Statistics, University of Innsbruck.
- Jordan Schwartz & José Luis Guasch & Gordon Wilmsmeier, 2009. "Logistics, Transport and Food Prices in LAC: Policy Guidance for Improving Efficiency and Reducing Costs," IDB Publications 9324, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Laura Márquez-Ramos & Inmaculada Martínez-Zarzoso & Eva Pérez-García & Gordon Wilmsmeier, 2011. "“Special Issue on Latin-American Research” Maritime Networks, Services Structure and Maritime Trade," Networks and Spatial Economics, Springer, vol. 11(3), pages 555-576, September.
- Sami Bensassi & Laura M�rquez-Ramos & Inmaculada Mart�nez-Zarzoso, 2012.
"Economic Integration and the Two Margins of Trade: The Impact of the Barcelona Process on North African Countries' Exports,"
Journal of African Economies,
Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 21(2), pages 228-265, March.
- Bensassi, Sami & Márquez-Ramos, Laura & Martínez-Zarzoso, Inmaculada, 2010. "Economic integration and the two margins of trade: the impact of the Barcelona Process on North African countries’ exports," MPRA Paper 27117, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Benedictis Villacreses, Geovanna & Calfat, Germán & Flôres Jr., Renato G., 2006. "Challenging the pro-development role of trade agreements when remoteness counts: the Ecuadorian experience," IOB Working Papers 2006.05, Universiteit Antwerpen, Institute of Development Policy and Management (IOB).
- Inmaculada Martínez-Zarzoso & Felicitas Nowak-Lehmann D., 2006. "Road and Maritime Transport Costs: A Comparative Analysis of Spanish Exports to Poland and Turkey," Ibero America Institute for Econ. Research (IAI) Discussion Papers 138, Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research.
- Inmaculada Martínez-Zarzoso & Gordon Wilmsmeier, 2010. "Freight Rates and the Margins of Intra-Latin American Maritime Trade," Ibero America Institute for Econ. Research (IAI) Discussion Papers 201, Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research.
- Inmaculada Martínez-Zarzoso & Gordon Wilmsmeier, 2008. "Determinants of Maritime Transport Costs. A Panel Data Analysis for Latin American Trade," Ibero America Institute for Econ. Research (IAI) Discussion Papers 172, Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research.
- José Luis Guasch, 2011. "La logística como motor de la competitividad en América Latina y el Caribe," IDB Publications 61178, Inter-American Development Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.