Foreign Assistance and the Struggle Against HIV/AIDS in the Developing World
AbstractThe few studies that have examined the systematic determinants of HIV/AIDS policy cross-nationally have left the possible impact of foreign aid out of the equation. At a time when developed nations are critically reassessing their foreign aid commitments a deeper understanding of the impact of HIV/AIDS foreign aid on policy outcomes in the developing world is vital. This study expands the present literature by analyzing the role of foreign funding in a nation's response to the epidemic. The authors find that while HIV/AIDS directed foreign aid has significantly positive effects on a country's treatment coverage rates, the level of traditionalism is a more important influence with regard to the proclivity of a country to adopt preventative policies centred on HIV/AIDS education. Civil and political rights are critical, but not often the real problem for the destitute sick. My patients in Haiti can now vote but they can't get medical care or clean water. (Paul Farmer)
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Journal of Development Studies.
Volume (Year): 46 (2010)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/FJDS20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Peter Nunnenkamp & Hannes Öhler, 2010.
"Throwing Foreign Aid at HIV/AIDS in Developing Countries: Missing the Target?,"
Kiel Working Papers
1642, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Nunnenkamp, Peter & Öhler, Hannes, 2011. "Throwing Foreign Aid at HIV/AIDS in Developing Countries: Missing the Target?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(10), pages 1704-1723.
- Nunnenkamp, Peter & Öhler, Hannes, 2010. "Throwing foreign aid at HIV/AIDS in developing countries: Missing the target?," Center for European, Governance and Economic Development Research Discussion Papers 111, University of Goettingen, Department of Economics.
- Peter Nunnenkamp & Hannes Öhler, 2010. "Throwing Foreign Aid at HIV/AIDS in Developing Countries: Missing the Target?," Courant Research Centre: Poverty, Equity and Growth - Discussion Papers 42, Courant Research Centre PEG.
- repec:got:cegedp:111 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.