Governance and Corruption in Public Health Care Systems
AbstractWhat factors affect health care delivery in the developing world? Anecdotal evidence of lives cut tragically short and the loss of productivity due to avoidable diseases is an area of salient concern in global health and international development. This working paper looks at factual evidence to describe the main challenges facing health care delivery in developing countries, including absenteeism, corruption, informal payments, and mismanagement. The author concludes that good governance is important in ensuring effective health care delivery, and that returns to investments in health are low where governance issues are not addressed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Center for Global Development in its series Working Papers with number 78.
Length: 57 pages
Date of creation: Jan 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.cgdev.org
governance; corruption; health care; disease; absenteeism;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H0 - Public Economics - - General
- O0 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - General
- I1 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-08-19 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2006-08-19 (Development)
- NEP-HEA-2006-08-19 (Health Economics)
- NEP-LTV-2006-08-19 (Unemployment, Inequality & Poverty)
- NEP-PBE-2006-08-19 (Public Economics)
- NEP-REG-2006-08-19 (Regulation)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Blackburn, Keith & Forgues-Puccio, Gonzalo F., 2007.
"Distribution and development in a model of misgovernance,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 51(6), pages 1534-1563, August.
- K Blackburn & G F Forgues-Puccio, 2004. "Distribution and Development in a Model of Misgovernance," Centre for Growth and Business Cycle Research Discussion Paper Series 42, Economics, The Univeristy of Manchester.
- Blackburn, Keith & Forgues-Puccio, Gonzalo F., 2005. "Distribution and Development in a Model of Misgovernance," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Kiel 2005 15, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Hunt, Jennifer, 2007.
"Bribery in Health Care in Peru and Uganda,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2757, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Hunt, Jennifer, 2007. "Bribery in Health Care in Peru and Uganda," CEPR Discussion Papers 6274, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jennifer Hunt, 2007. "Bribery In Health Care In Peru And Uganda," Departmental Working Papers 2007-02, McGill University, Department of Economics.
- Jennifer Hunt, 2007. "Bribery in Health Care in Peru and Uganda," NBER Working Papers 13034, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yusuke Kamiya, 2010. "Determinants of Health in Developing Countries:Cross-Country Evidence," OSIPP Discussion Paper 10E009, Osaka School of International Public Policy, Osaka University.
- Keith Blackburn & Gonzalo F. Forgues-Puccio, 2011.
"Foreign Aid - a Fillip for Development or a Fuel for Corruption?,"
CDMA Working Paper Series
201107, Centre for Dynamic Macroeconomic Analysis.
- Keith Blackburn & Gonzalo F. Forgues-Puccio, 2011. "Foreign Aid – A Fillip for Development or a Fuel for Corruption?," Development Research Working Paper Series 09/2011, Institute for Advanced Development Studies.
- Keith Blackburn & Gonzalo F. Forgues-Puccio, 2011. "Foreign aid - a fillip for development or a fuel for corruption?," Centre for Growth and Business Cycle Research Discussion Paper Series 158, Economics, The Univeristy of Manchester.
- Lagravinese, Raffaele & Paradiso, Massimo, 2012. "Corruption and health expenditure in Italy," MPRA Paper 43215, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kira Boerner & Christa Hainz, 2007. "The Political Economy of Corruption & the Role of Financial Institutions," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp892, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Kenny, Charles, 2009. "Is there an anticorruption agenda in utilities?," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 156-165, June.
- Jack, William & Lewis, Maureen, 2009. "Health investments and economic growth : macroeconomic evidence and microeconomic foundations," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4877, The World Bank.
- World Bank, 2008. "Immunization Resource Tracking Exercise : Case Study on the Republic of Tajikistan," World Bank Other Operational Studies 8116, The World Bank.
- Hunt, Jennifer, 2010. "Bribery in health care in Uganda," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 699-707, September.
- Maryanne Sharp & Ioana Kruse, 2011. "Health, Nutrition, and Population in Madagascar 2000-09," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 5957, March.
- Lewis, Maureen & Pettersson, Gunilla, 2009. "Governance in health care delivery : raising performance," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5074, The World Bank.
- World Bank, 2011. "Sudan - Public Expenditure Tracking Survey (PETS) : Case Study of the Health Sector," World Bank Other Operational Studies 12265, The World Bank.
- World Bank, 2009. "Uzbekistan - Assessment of the Primary Health Care Reform : Transparency, Accountability and Efficiency," World Bank Other Operational Studies 3065, The World Bank.
- Keith Blackburn & Rashmi Sarmah, 2008. "Corruption, development and demography," Economics of Governance, Springer, vol. 9(4), pages 341-362, October.
- Grant Miller & Kimberly Singer Babiarz, 2013. "Pay-for-Performance Incentives in Low- and Middle-Income Country Health Programs," NBER Working Papers 18932, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Matei, Lucica & Matei, Ani, 2009. "Corruption in the public organizations. Towards a model of cost-benefit analysis for the anticorruption strategies," MPRA Paper 17639, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- World Bank, 2008. "Nigeria—Improving Primary Health Care Delivery : Evidence from Four States," World Bank Other Operational Studies 7784, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (David Roodman).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.