Posterior Analysis of Environmental Damage Evaluation in Europe
AbstractIn this paper we consider environmental damage evaluation using two types of econometric models to analyse tree damage due to acid deposits, using cross-country data for several European countries. First, we use a set of univariate Poisson models and second, a multinomial probit model with the difference that we do not observe class specific data. The damage function is parameterized in terms of a number of economic and environmental variables. Statistical inference is conducted using Bayesian methods relying on Markov Chain Monte Carlo simulation. Natural by-products of our method include an implied ranking of countries according to environmental damage, and (exact, finite sample) posterior distributions of average country-specific environmental damage.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal International Review of Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 14 (2000)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CIRA20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Newey, Whitney & West, Kenneth, 2014.
"A simple, positive semi-definite, heteroscedasticity and autocorrelation consistent covariance matrix,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 33(1), pages 125-132.
- Newey, Whitney K & West, Kenneth D, 1987. "A Simple, Positive Semi-definite, Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 703-08, May.
- Whitney K. Newey & Kenneth D. West, 1986. "A Simple, Positive Semi-Definite, Heteroskedasticity and AutocorrelationConsistent Covariance Matrix," NBER Technical Working Papers 0055, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tsionas, Efthymios G., 1998. "Monte Carlo inference in econometric models with symmetric stable disturbances," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 88(2), pages 365-401, November.
- Terza, Joseph V & Wilson, Paul W, 1990. "Analyzing Frequencies of Several Types of Events: A Mixed Multinomial-Poisson Approach," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 72(1), pages 108-15, February.
- Pearce, David & Crowards, Tom, 1996. "Particulate matter and human health in the United Kingdom," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(7), pages 609-619, July.
- George Halkos, 1996. "Incomplete information in the acid rain game," Empirica, Springer, vol. 23(2), pages 129-148, June.
- Kloek, Tuen & van Dijk, Herman K, 1978. "Bayesian Estimates of Equation System Parameters: An Application of Integration by Monte Carlo," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 1-19, January.
- Amemiya, Takeshi, 1981. "Qualitative Response Models: A Survey," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 19(4), pages 1483-1536, December.
- Halkos, George E, 1993. "Optimal sulphur emissions abatement in Europe," MPRA Paper 33536, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Naylor, J. C. & Smith, A. F. M., 1988. "Econometric illustrations of novel numerical integration strategies for Bayesian inference," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 38(1-2), pages 103-125.
- Pearce, David, 1996. "Economic valuation and health damage from air pollution in the developing world," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(7), pages 627-630, July.
- Dimitris Christopoulos & John Loizides & Efthymios Tsionas, 2005. "The Abrams curve of government size and unemployment: evidence from panel data," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(10), pages 1193-1199.
- Dimitris Christopoulos & Efthymios Tsionas, 2002. "Unemployment and government size: Is there any credible causality?," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(12), pages 797-800.
- Dimitris K. Christopoulos & Efthymios G. Tsionas, 2005. "Productivity growth and inflation in Europe: Evidence from panel cointegration tests," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 30(1), pages 137-150, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.