The Abrams curve of government size and unemployment: evidence from panel data
AbstractThis study investigates the long run relationship between government size and unemployment rate, the Abrams curve, using ten European countries over the period 1961-1999. To this end, panel cointegration analysis and estimation techniques appropriate for heterogeneous panels are made use of. The results support the idea that there is an Abrams curve, and the relation between government size and the unemployment rate is positive.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 37 (2005)
Issue (Month): 10 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Razzolini, Laura & Shughart, William F, II, 1997. " On the (Relative) Unimportance of a Balanced Budget," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 90(1-4), pages 215-33, March.
- Robert J. Barro, 1991.
"Economic Growth in a Cross Section of Countries,"
NBER Working Papers
3120, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 1991.
"Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780198284345.
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 2005. "Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199279173.
- Pierse, R. G. & Snell, A. J., 1995. "Temporal aggregation and the power of tests for a unit root," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 65(2), pages 333-345, February.
- Efthymios Tsionas & George Halkos, 2000. "Posterior Analysis of Environmental Damage Evaluation in Europe," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 14(3), pages 371-390.
- Burton A. Abrams & Siyan Wang, 2007.
"Government Outlays, Economic Growth and Unemployment: A VAR Model,"
07-13, University of Delaware, Department of Economics.
- Siyan Wang & Burton A. Abrams, 2011. "Government Outlays, Economic Growth and Unemployment: A VAR Model," Working Papers 11-13, University of Delaware, Department of Economics.
- Christoph Schaltegger & Benno Torgler, 2006.
"Growth effects of public expenditure on the state and local level: evidence from a sample of rich governments,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(10), pages 1181-1192.
- Christoph A. Schaltegger & Benno Torgler, 2004. "Growth Effects of Public Expenditure on the State and Local Level: Evidence from a Sample of Rich Governments," CREMA Working Paper Series 2004-16, Center for Research in Economics, Management and the Arts (CREMA).
- Siyan Wang & Burton A. Abrams, 2011. "The Effect of Government Size on the Steady-State Unemployment Rate: A Dynamic Perspective," Working Papers 11-12, University of Delaware, Department of Economics.
- Westerlund, Joakim & Basher, Syed A., 2008.
"Mixed signals among tests for panel cointegration,"
Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 128-136, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.