The local power of some unit root tests for panel data
AbstractTo test the hypothesis of a difference stationary time series against a trend stationary alternative, Levin and Lin (1993) and Im, Pesaran and Shin (1997) suggest bias adjusted t-statistics. Such corrections are necessary to account for the nonzero mean of the t-statistic in the case of an OLS detrending method. In this paper the local power of panel unit root statistics against a sequence of local alternatives is studied. It is shown that the local power of the test statistics is affected by two different terms. The first term represents the asymptotic effect on the bias due the detrending method and the second term is the usual location parameter of the limiting distribution under the sequence of local alternatives. It is argued that both terms can offset each other so that the test has no power against the sequence of local alternatives. This results suggest to construct test statistics based on alternative detrending methods. We consider a class of t-statistics that do not require a bias correction. The results of a Monte Carlo experiment suggest that avoiding the bias can improve the power of the test substantially. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes in its series SFB 373 Discussion Papers with number 1999,69.
Date of creation: 1999
Date of revision:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gregoriou, Andros & Kontonikas, Alexandros, 2008.
"The long run relationship between stock prices and goods prices: new evidence from panel cointegration,"
SIRE Discussion Papers
2008-32, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Gregoriou, Andros & Kontonikas, Alexandros, 2010. "The long-run relationship between stock prices and goods prices: New evidence from panel cointegration," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 166-176, April.
- Andros Gregoriou & Alexandros Kontonikas, . "The Long Run Relationship Between Stock Prices And Goods Prices: New Evidence From Panel Cointegration," Working Papers 2008_19, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Christopoulos, Dimitris K. & Tsionas, Efthymios G., 2004. "Financial development and economic growth: evidence from panel unit root and cointegration tests," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 55-74, February.
- Hyungsik Roger Moon & Benoit Perron & Peter C.B. Phillips, 2005.
"Incidental Trends and the Power of Panel Unit Root Tests,"
IEPR Working Papers
05.38, Institute of Economic Policy Research (IEPR).
- Moon, Hyungsik Roger & Perron, Benoit & Phillips, Peter C.B., 2007. "Incidental trends and the power of panel unit root tests," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 141(2), pages 416-459, December.
- Hyungsik Roger Moon & Benoit Perron & Peter C.B. Phillips, 2003. "Incidental Trends and the Power of Panel Unit Root Tests," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1435, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Hyungsik Roger Moon & Benoit Perron, 2004. "Incidental Trends and the Power of Panel Unit Root Tests," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm414, Yale School of Management.
- Andros Gregoriou, 2010. "Corporate Valuation and Dividends: UK Evidence from Panel Unit Root and Cointegration Tests," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 38(1), pages 15-22, March.
- Habibullah, M.S. & Law, Siong-Hook & Dayang-Afizzah, A.M., 2008. "Defense spending and economic growth in Asian economies: A panel error-correction approach," MPRA Paper 12105, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Robin Johnson & W A Razzak & Steve Stillman, 2005.
"Has New Zealand benefited from its investments in research & development?,"
Development and Comp Systems
- Robin Johnson & W. A. Razzak & Steven Stillman, 2007. "Has New Zealand benefited from its investments in research & development?," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(19), pages 2425-2440.
- Razzak, Weshah & Stillman, Steve & Johnson, Robin, 2005. "Has New Zealand benefited from its investments in research & development?," MPRA Paper 1887, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lee, Bun Song & Chun, Sun Eae & Kim, Suk Young, 2007. "The effects of regional characteristics on population growth in Korean cities, counties and wards," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 490-508, June.
- Badi H. Baltagi & Chihwa Kao, 2000. "Nonstationary Panels, Cointegration in Panels and Dynamic Panels: A Survey," Center for Policy Research Working Papers 16, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.