Industrial Districts, Innovation and I-district Effect: Territory or Industrial Specialization?
AbstractThe I-district effect hypothesis establishes the existence of highly intense innovation in Marshallian industrial districts due to the presence of external localization economies. However, industrial districts are characterized by specific manufacturing specializations in such a way that this effect could be due to these dominant specializations. The objective of this research is to test whether the effect is explained by the conditions of the territory or by the industrial specialization and to provide additional evidence of the existence and causes of the highly intense innovation in industrial districts (I-district effect). The estimates for Spain of a fixed-effects model interacting territory and industry suggest that the high innovative performance of industrial districts is maintained across sectors, whereas the industrial specialization behaves differently depending on the type of the local production system in which it is placed. The I-district effect is related to the conditions of the territory more than to the industrial specialization. The territory is a key variable in explaining the processes of innovation and should be considered a basic dimension in the design of innovation and industrial policies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal European Planning Studies.
Volume (Year): 18 (2009)
Issue (Month): 10 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CEPS20
Other versions of this item:
- Rafael Boix, 2008. "Industrial districts, innovation and I-district effect: territory or industrial specialization?," Working Papers wpdea0807, Department of Applied Economics at Universitat Autonoma of Barcelona.
- O14 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Industrialization; Manufacturing and Service Industries; Choice of Technology
- O31 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Innovation and Invention: Processes and Incentives
- R12 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Size and Spatial Distributions of Regional Economic Activity; Interregional Trade (economic geography)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rafael Boix & Vittorio Galletto, 2009. "Innovation and Industrial Districts: A First Approach to the Measurement and Determinants of the I-District Effect," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(9), pages 1117-1133.
- Russo, Margherita, 1985. "Technical change and the industrial district: The role of interfirm relations in the growth and transformation of ceramic tile production in Italy," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 14(6), pages 329-343, December.
- Brasili, Cristina & Maccarini, Elisa Ricci, 2003. "Efficiency Of The Italian Agri-Food Industry: An Analysis Of "Districts Effect"," 2003 Annual Meeting, August 16-22, 2003, Durban, South Africa 25879, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Giulio Cainelli & Nicola De Liso, 2005. "Innovation in Industrial Districts: Evidence from Italy," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(3), pages 383-398.
- Allen, Robert C., 1983. "Collective invention," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 1-24, March.
- Mosahid Khan & Hélène Dernis, 2006. "Global Overview of Innovative Activities from the Patent Indicators Perspective," OECD Science, Technology and Industry Working Papers 2006/3, OECD Publishing.
- Lisa De Propris, 2005. "Mapping local production systems in the UK: Methodology and application," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(2), pages 197-211.
- Enrico Santarelli, 2004. "Patents and the Technological Performance of District Firms Evidence for the Emilia-Romagna Region of Italy," Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy 2004-29, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- Frank Moulaert & Farid Sekia, 2003. "Territorial Innovation Models: A Critical Survey," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(3), pages 289-302.
- Vittorio Galletto & Rafael Boix, 2008. "Marshallian Industrial Districts in Spain," SCIENZE REGIONALI, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2008(3), pages 29-52.
- Zvi Griliches, 1998.
"Patent Statistics as Economic Indicators: A Survey,"
in: R&D and Productivity: The Econometric Evidence, pages 287-343
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Griliches, Zvi, 1990. "Patent Statistics as Economic Indicators: A Survey," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 28(4), pages 1661-1707, December.
- Zvi Griliches, 1991. "Patent Statistics as Economic Indicators: A Survey," NBER Working Papers 3301, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cowan,Robin, 2004. "Network models of innovation and knowledge diffusion," Research Memoranda 016, Maastricht : MERIT, Maastricht Economic Research Institute on Innovation and Technology.
- Joao Cerejeira da Silva, 2002. "Identification of the Portuguese industrial districts," NIMA Working Papers 17, Núcleo de Investigação em Microeconomia Aplicada (NIMA), Universidade do Minho.
- Leonardo Becchetti & Andrea De Panizza & Filippo Oropallo, 2007. "Role of Industrial District Externalities in Export and Value-added Performance: Evidence from the Population of Italian Firms," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(5), pages 601-621.
- repec:fth:harver:1473 is not listed on IDEAS
- Alessandro Muscio, 2006. "Patterns of Innovation in Industrial Districts: An Empirical Analysis," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(3), pages 291-312.
- Acs, Zoltan J & Audretsch, David B & Feldman, Maryann P, 1992. "Real Effects of Academic Research: Comment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(1), pages 363-67, March.
- Marco Bellandi, 1992. "The incentives to decentralized industrial creativity in local Systems of small firms," Revue d'Économie Industrielle, Programme National Persée, vol. 59(1), pages 99-110.
- Roberta Rabellotti & Hubert Schmitz, 1999. "The Internal Heterogeneity of Industrial Districts in Italy, Brazil and Mexico," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(2), pages 97-108.
- Manuel Lopez-Estornell & Ignacio FernÃ¡ndez de Lucio, 2011. "Knowledge and performance in innovative firms: An analysis of district and inter-district effects," ERSA conference papers ersa11p361, European Regional Science Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.