A Unified Approach to Structural Change Tests Based on ML Scores, F Statistics, and OLS Residuals
AbstractThree classes of structural change tests (or tests for parameter instability) that have been receiving much attention in both the statistics and the econometrics communities but have been developed in rather loosely connected lines of research are unified by embedding them into the framework of generalized M-fluctuation tests (Zeileis and Hornik, 2003). These classes are tests based on maximum likelihood scores (including the Nyblom-Hansen test), on F statistics (sup�F, ave�F, exp�F tests), and on OLS residuals (OLS-based CUSUM and MOSUM tests). We show that (representatives from) these classes are special cases of the generalized M-fluctuation tests, based on the same functional central limit theorem but employing different functionals for capturing excessive fluctuations. After embedding these tests into the same framework and thus understanding the relationship between these procedures for testing in historical samples, it is shown how the tests can also be extended to a monitoring situation. This is achieved by establishing a general M-fluctuation monitoring procedure and then applying the different functionals corresponding to monitoring with ML scores, F statistics, and OLS residuals. In particular, an extension of the sup�F test to a monitoring scenario is suggested and illustrated on a real-world data set.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Econometric Reviews.
Volume (Year): 24 (2005)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/LECR20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Achim Zeileis & Torsten Hothorn, 2013. "A toolbox of permutation tests for structural change," Statistical Papers, Springer, vol. 54(4), pages 931-954, November.
- Jamel Jouini, 2010. "Bootstrap methods for single structural change tests: power versus corrected size and empirical illustration," Statistical Papers, Springer, vol. 51(1), pages 85-109, January.
- Edgar Merkle & Achim Zeileis, 2013. "Tests of Measurement Invariance Without Subgroups: A Generalization of Classical Methods," Psychometrika, Springer, vol. 78(1), pages 59-82, January.
- Groen, Jan J J & Kapetanios, George & Price, Simon, 2009.
"Multivariate methods for monitoring structural change,"
Bank of England working papers
369, Bank of England.
- Jan J. J. Groen & George Kapetanios & Simon Price, 2013. "Multivariate Methods For Monitoring Structural Change," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 28(2), pages 250-274, 03.
- Makram El-Shagi & Sebastian Giesen, 2010.
"Testing for Structural Breaks at Unknown Time: A Steeplechase,"
IWH Discussion Papers
19, Halle Institute for Economic Research.
- Makram El-Shagi & Sebastian Giesen, 2013. "Testing for Structural Breaks at Unknown Time: A Steeplechase," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 41(1), pages 101-123, January.
- Jan Verbesselt & Achim Zeileis & Martin Herold, 2011. "Near Real-Time Disturbance Detection in Terrestrial Ecosystems Using Satellite Image Time Series: Drought Detection in Somalia," Working Papers 2011-18, Faculty of Economics and Statistics, University of Innsbruck.
- Martin Wagner & Achim Zeileis, 2012. "Heterogeneity of Regional Growth in the European Union," Working Papers 2012-20, Faculty of Economics and Statistics, University of Innsbruck.
- Fried, Roland, 2007. "On the robust detection of edges in time series filtering," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 1063-1074, October.
- Thomas Windberger & Achim Zeileis, 2011. "Structural Breaks in Inflation Dynamics within the European Monetary Union," Working Papers 2011-12, Faculty of Economics and Statistics, University of Innsbruck.
- Yi-Hsuan Lee & Alina Davier, 2013. "Monitoring Scale Scores over Time via Quality Control Charts, Model-Based Approaches, and Time Series Techniques," Psychometrika, Springer, vol. 78(3), pages 557-575, July.
- Zeileis, Achim & Shah, Ajay & Patnaik, Ila, 2010. "Testing, monitoring, and dating structural changes in exchange rate regimes," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 54(6), pages 1696-1706, June.
- Fried, Roland, 2007. "On the robust detection of edges in time series filtering," Technical Reports 2007,20, Technische Universität Dortmund, Sonderforschungsbereich 475: Komplexitätsreduktion in multivariaten Datenstrukturen.
- Jan J.J. Groen & George Kapetanios & Simon Price, 2010. "Multivariate Methods for Monitoring Structural Change," Working Papers 658, Queen Mary, University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.