Holiday taking and income
AbstractThis paper is the first attempt to estimate the determinants of holiday-taking across several countries. To accomplish this a two-stage estimation procedure is employed which enables incongruous income categories to be transformed into a single income variable. It is found that in the mid-1980s there was a substantial similarity in the holiday taking behaviour of Europeans. The large national differences in holiday participation are explained by differences in income and demographic factors. A remarkable regularity in the responsiveness of the probability of holiday taking to marginal changes in income is found.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 35 (2003)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Heckman, James J, 1974. "Shadow Prices, Market Wages, and Labor Supply," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 42(4), pages 679-94, July.
- Eymann, Angelika & Ronning, Gerd, 1997. "Microeconometric models of tourists' destination choice," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 735-761, November.
- Soest, A.H.O. van & Kooreman, P., 1987.
"A micro-econometric analysis of vacation behaviour,"
Open Access publications from Tilburg University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-365519, Tilburg University.
- van Soest, Arthur & Kooreman, Peter, 1987. "A Micro-econometric Analysis of Vacation Behaviour," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 2(3), pages 215-26, July.
- Francisco J. Mas & Juan Luis Nicolau, 2004. "A Random Parameter Logit Approach To The Two-Stage Tourist Choice Process: Going On Holidays And Length Of Stay," Working Papers. Serie AD 2004-46, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Joaquín Alegre & Llorenç Pou, 2006. "An Analysis of the Microeconomic Determinants of Travel Frequency," DEA Working Papers 18, Universitat de les Illes Balears, Departament d'Economía Aplicada.
- Francisco J. Mas & Juan Luis Nicolau, 2004. "Heckit Modelling Of The Two-Stage Tourist Choice Process: Going On Holiday And Tourism Expenditures," Working Papers. Serie EC 2004-16, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.