Estimates of the demand for energy using cross-country consumption data
AbstractUsing cross-country consumption data we estimate a system of demand equations in a piecewise manner to investigate whether price and expenditure elasticities for energy differ between broad groups of countries. The empirical results reject the assumption of constant parameters across regimes of poor and rich countries. The derived elasticities suggest that the own-price elasticity for energy is higher in poor than in rich countries. We find no evidence for the commonly held view that expenditure elasticities for energy decline with income.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 29 (1997)
Issue (Month): 7 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
Other versions of this item:
- Brenton, P., 1995. "Estimates of the Demand for Energy Using Cross-Country Consumption Data," Discussion Papers 95-25, Department of Economics, University of Birmingham.
- D11 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Theory
- D12 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Empirical Analysis
- E21 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Consumption; Saving; Wealth
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Seán Lyons & Karen Mayor & Richard S.J. Tol, 2007.
"Convergence of Consumption Patterns During Macroeconomic Transition: A Model of Demand in Ireland and the OECD,"
WP205, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Lyons, Sean & Mayor, Karen & Tol, Richard S.J., 2009. "Convergence of consumption patterns during macroeconomic transition: A model of demand in Ireland and the OECD," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 702-714, May.
- Sean Lyons & Karen Mayor & Richard S.J. Tol, 2007. "Convergence Of Consumption Patterns During Macroeconomic Transition: A Model Of Demand In Ireland And The Oecd," Working Papers FNU-141, Research unit Sustainability and Global Change, Hamburg University, revised Aug 2007.
- Nourah Al Yousef, 2013. "Demand for Oil Products in OPEC Countries: A Panel Cointegration Analysis," International Journal of Energy Economics and Policy, Econjournals, vol. 3(2), pages 168-177.
- Kumar, Saten, 2008.
"Cointegration and the Demand for Energy in Fiji,"
18704, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Iwayemi, Akin & Adenikinju, Adeola & Babatunde, M. Adetunji, 2010. "Estimating petroleum products demand elasticities in Nigeria: A multivariate cointegration approach," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 73-85, January.
- De Vita, G. & Endresen, K. & Hunt, L.C., 2006.
"An empirical analysis of energy demand in Namibia,"
Elsevier, vol. 34(18), pages 3447-3463, December.
- Glauco De Vita & Klaus Endresen & Lester C. Hunt, 2005. "An Empirical Analysis of Energy Demand in Namibia," Surrey Energy Economics Centre (SEEC), School of Economics Discussion Papers (SEEDS) 110, Surrey Energy Economics Centre (SEEC), School of Economics, University of Surrey.
- Yu Sheng & Xunpeng Shi, . "Economic Development, Energy Market Integration and Energy Demand: Implication for East Asia," Chapters, Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA).
- Castro Martins, Maria Lurdes, 2003. "International differences in telecommunications demand," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 291-303, September.
- Narayan, Paresh Kumar & Smyth, Russell, 2007. "A panel cointegration analysis of the demand for oil in the Middle East," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(12), pages 6258-6265, December.
- Branston, J. R., 2000. "A counterfactual price analysis of British electricity privatisation," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 31-46, March.
- Ngui, Dianah & Mutua, John & Osiolo, Hellen & Aligula, Eric, 2011. "Household energy demand in Kenya: An application of the linear approximate almost ideal demand system (LA-AIDS)," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(11), pages 7084-7094.
- Seale, James L. & Solano, Alexis A., 2012. "The changing demand for energy in rich and poor countries over 25years," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 1834-1844.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.