The effects of currency depreciation on stock returns: evidence from five East Asian economies
AbstractBy using stock daily data for Thailand and the four Asian Tigers, this paper provides clear evidence that currency depreciation affects adversely stock returns and/or increases market volatility over the period of the Asian crisis 1997-1999. The implication is that international investors and fund managers who plan to invest in the East Asian newly emerging stock markets have to evaluate the stability of the foreign exchange markets before taking action.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 9 (2002)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Leeves, Gareth, 2007. "Asymmetric volatility of stock returns during the Asian crisis: Evidence from Indonesia," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 272-286.
- Liang, Chin-Chia & Lin, Jeng-Bau & Hsu, Hao-Cheng, 2013. "Reexamining the relationships between stock prices and exchange rates in ASEAN-5 using panel Granger causality approach," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 32(C), pages 560-563.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:15:y:2005:i:6:p:1-9 is not listed on IDEAS
- Rodolfo Aquino, 2006. "A variance equality test of the ICAPM on Philippine stocks: post-Asian financial crisis period," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(3), pages 353-362.
- Valadkhani, Abbas & Chancharat, Surachai & Harvie, Charles, 2006. "The Interplay Between the Thai and Several Other International Stock Markets," Economics Working Papers wp06-18, School of Economics, University of Wollongong, NSW, Australia.
- Wang, Lihong, 2014. "Who moves East Asian stock markets? The role of the 2007–2009 global financial crisis," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 28(C), pages 182-203.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.