The effect of monetary policy on housing: a factor-augmented vector autoregression (FAVAR) approach
AbstractThis study examines the link between monetary policy and the housing market. The analysis is conducted using impulse response functions derived from a factor-augmented vector autoregression (FAVAR) model. The FAVAR methodology as developed by Bernanke et al. (2005) avoids the degrees of freedom problem present in standard vector autoregression (VARs) models. The estimations are conducted using 120 macroeconomic time series in monthly frequency for the period January 1959 to August 2001. Results indicate that housing starts respond negatively to monetary policy shocks. This result is consistent across regions in the United States. In the case of housing permits and mobile home shipments, the response to a monetary policy shock is positive at first, but becomes negative after a few periods.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 15 (2008)
Issue (Month): 10 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gogas, Periklis & Pragidis, Ioannis, 2010. "Does the Interest Risk Premium Predict Housing Prices?," DUTH Research Papers in Economics 1-2010, Democritus University of Thrace, Department of Economics.
- Das, Sonali & Gupta, Rangan & Kabundi, Alain, 2009.
"Could we have predicted the recent downturn in the South African housing market?,"
Journal of Housing Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 325-335, December.
- Sonali Das & Rangan Gupta & Alain Kabundi, 2009. "Could we have predicted the recent downturn in the South African Housing Market?," Working Papers 149, Economic Research Southern Africa.
- Sonali Das & Rangan Gupta & Alain Kabundi, 2008. "Could We Have Predicted The Recent Downturn In The South African Housing Market?," Working Papers 200831, University of Pretoria, Department of Economics.
- Todd H. Kuethe & Valerien Pede, 2009. "Regional Housing Price Cycles: A Spatio-Temporal Analysis Using Us State Level," Working Papers 09-04, Purdue University, College of Agriculture, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Fujii, Takao & Hiraga, Kazuki & Kozuka, Masafumi, 2013. "Effects of public investment on sectoral private investment: A factor augmented VAR approach," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 27(C), pages 35-47.
- Irfan Akbar Kazi & Hakimzadi Wagan & Farhan Akbar, 2012.
"The changing international transmission of US monetary policy shocks: is there evidence of contagion effect on OECD countries,"
EconomiX Working Papers
2012-27, University of Paris West - Nanterre la Défense, EconomiX.
- Kazi, Irfan Akbar & Wagan, Hakimzadi & Akbar, Farhan, 2013. "The changing international transmission of U.S. monetary policy shocks: Is there evidence of contagion effect on OECD countries," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 30(C), pages 90-116.
- Irfan akbar Kazi & Hakimzadi Wagan & Farhan Akbar, 2011. "The changing international transmission of us monetary policy shocks: is there evidence of contagion effect on oecd countries," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 31(4), pages A49.
- Takao Fujii & Kazuki Hiraga & Masafumi Kozuka, 2012. "Analyses of Public Investment Shock in Japan: Factor Augmented Vector Autoregressive Approach," Keio/Kyoto Joint Global COE Discussion Paper Series 2012-006, Keio/Kyoto Joint Global COE Program.
- Rangan Gupta & Marius Jurgilas & Alain Kabundi, 2009.
"The Effect Of Monetary Policy On Real House Price Growth In South Africa: A Factor Augmented Vector Autoregression (Favar) Approach,"
200905, University of Pretoria, Department of Economics.
- Gupta, Rangan & Jurgilas, Marius & Kabundi, Alain, 2010. "The effect of monetary policy on real house price growth in South Africa: A factor-augmented vector autoregression (FAVAR) approach," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 315-323, January.
- Matteo Luciani, 2012.
"Monetary Policy and the Housing Market: A Structural Factor Analysis,"
Working Papers ECARES
ECARES 2012-035, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Matteo LUCIANI, . "Monetary Policy and the Housing Market: A Structural Factor Analysis," Working Papers wp2010-7, Department of the Treasury, Ministry of the Economy and of Finance.
- John McDonald & Houston Stokes, 2013. "Monetary Policy and the Housing Bubble," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 46(3), pages 437-451, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.