Complaints and inequality
AbstractTemkin (1986, 1993) set out a philosophical basis for the analysis of income inequality that provides an important alternative to the mainstream welfarist approach. We show that the Temkin principles can be characterised by a parsimonious axiomatic structure and we use this structure to derive a new class of inequality indices and an inequality ordering. This class of indices has a family relationship to well-known measures of inequality, deprivation and poverty. The ordering is shown to have properties analogous to second-order dominance results. Copyright Springer-Verlag 2004
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Social Choice and Welfare.
Volume (Year): 23 (2004)
Issue (Month): 1 (08)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00355/index.htm
Other versions of this item:
- Frank A Cowell & Udo Ebert, 2002. "Complaints and Inequality," STICERD - Distributional Analysis Research Programme Papers 61, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Satya Chakravarty & Diganta Mukherjee, 1999.
"Measures of Deprivation and their Meaning in Terms of Social Satisfaction,"
Theory and Decision,
Springer, vol. 47(1), pages 89-100, August.
- Chakravarty, S.R. & Mukherjee, D., 1998. "Measures of Deprivation and their Meaning in Terms of Social Satisfaction," DELTA Working Papers 98-17, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Ebert, Udo, 1988. "A Family of Aggregative Compromise Inequality Measures," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 29(2), pages 363-76, May.
- Amiel,Yoram & Cowell,Frank, 1999. "Thinking about Inequality," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521466967.
- Blackorby, Charles & Donaldson, David, 1978. "Measures of relative equality and their meaning in terms of social welfare," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 59-80, June.
- Cowell, F.A., 2000. "Measurement of inequality," Handbook of Income Distribution, in: A.B. Atkinson & F. Bourguignon (ed.), Handbook of Income Distribution, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 2, pages 87-166 Elsevier.
- Frank A Cowell, 2006. "Inequality: Measurement," STICERD - Distributional Analysis Research Programme Papers 86, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Satya R. Chakravarty & Conchita D'Ambrosio & Pietro Muliere, 2003. "Target Shortfall Orderings and Indices," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 340, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Satya Chakravarty, 2007. "A deprivation-based axiomatic characterization of the absolute Bonferroni index of inequality," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 5(3), pages 339-351, December.
- Patrick Moyes, 2007. "An extended Gini approach to inequality measurement," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 5(3), pages 279-303, December.
- Frank A Cowell & Udo Ebert, 2006. "Inequality and Envy," STICERD - Distributional Analysis Research Programme Papers 88, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Frank A Cowell, 2007. "Income Distribution and Inequality," STICERD - Distributional Analysis Research Programme Papers 94, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Luis Imedio-Olmedo & Encarnación Parrado-Gallardo & Elena Bárcena-Martín, 2012. "Income Inequality Indices Interpreted as Measures of Relative Deprivation/Satisfaction," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 109(3), pages 471-491, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.