Inequality and Envy
AbstractUsing a simple axiomatic structure we characterise two classes ofinequality indices - absolute and relative - that take into account "envy"in the income distribution. The concept of envy incorporated hereconcerns the distance of each person's income from his or herimmediately richer neighbour. This is shown to be similar to justiceconcepts based on income relativities.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE in its series STICERD - Distributional Analysis Research Programme Papers with number 88.
Date of creation: Dec 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://sticerd.lse.ac.uk/_new/publications/default.asp
Inequality; envy; transfer principle.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D63 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Equity, Justice, Inequality, and Other Normative Criteria and Measurement
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-08-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-HPE-2007-08-14 (History & Philosophy of Economics)
- NEP-LTV-2007-08-14 (Unemployment, Inequality & Poverty)
- NEP-SOC-2007-08-14 (Social Norms & Social Capital)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yitzhaki, Shlomo, 1982. "Relative deprivation and economic welfare," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 99-113.
- BOSSERT, Walter & D'AMBROSIO, Conchita, 2004.
"Reference Groups and Individual Deprivation,"
Cahiers de recherche
2004-10, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Frank A Cowell & Udo Ebert, 2002.
"Complaints and Inequality,"
STICERD - Distributional Analysis Research Programme Papers
61, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Arnsperger, Christian, 1994. " Envy-Freeness and Distributive Justice," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 8(2), pages 155-86, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.