Globalization Measurement: Notes on Common Globalization Indexes
AbstractGlobalization is a broad concept casually used to describe a variety of phenomena that reflect increased economic, social and political interdependence of countries. Despite the increasing awareness on globalization, it is interesting to note that there is no any universally accepted definition and there is no standard measurement for globalization. Along with the growing number of countries participating in globalized world, there have been increasing concerns related to the globalization and its impacts on different aspect of life. Looking at the way globalization affects us, there is a need to measure globalization not only to know the effects of it, but also to manage it. A number of globalization measurements have been proposed. In this paper, we provide a taxonomy which categorized recent globalization measurement based on its definition to single and synthetic indexes. We then describe the indicators, method and availability of data, and analyses some of their shortcomings. In addition, we compare the indexes with respect to some criteria. Our survey concludes that selection of a good globalization indexes for the study depends on the objectives and the sample of the study. The findings of this study can help researchers as a guide line to select best index for their studies or develop new and better measurement.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by ScientificPapers.org in its journal Journal of Knowledge Management, Economics and Information Technology.
Volume (Year): 1 (2011)
Issue (Month): 7 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.scientificpapers.org
Globalization; Measurement; Globalization Indexes;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Petra Vujakovic, 2010. "How to Measure Globalisation? A New Globalisation Index (NGI)," FIW Working Paper series 046, FIW.
- M. Ayhan Kose & Eswar Prasad & Kenneth S. Rogoff & Shang-Jin Wei, 2006.
"Financial Globalization: A Reappraisal,"
NBER Working Papers
12484, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- M. Ayhan Kose & Eswar Prasad & Kenneth Rogoff & Shang-Jin Wei, 2009. "Financial Globalization: A Reappraisal," Panoeconomicus, Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia, vol. 56(2), pages 143-197, June.
- M Ayhan Kose & Eswar Prasad & Kenneth Rogoff & Shang-Jin Wei, 2009. "Financial Globalization: A Reappraisal," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 56(1), pages 8-62, April.
- Reuven Glick & Ramon Moreno & Mark Spiegel, 2001. "Financial crises in emerging markets," FRBSF Economic Letter, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue mar.23.
- Vittorio Grilli & Gian-Maria Milesi-Ferretti, 1995.
"Economic Effects and Structural Determinants of Capital Controls,"
IMF Working Papers
95/31, International Monetary Fund.
- Vittorio Grilli & Gian Maria Milesi-Ferretti, 1995. "Economic Effects and Structural Determinants of Capital Controls," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 42(3), pages 517-551, September.
- William J. Collins & Jeffrey G. Williamson, 1999.
"Capital Goods Prices, Global Capital Markets and Accumulation, 1870-1950,"
NBER Historical Working Papers
0116, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- William J. Collins & Jeffrey G. Williamson, 1999. "Capital Goods Prices, Global Capital Markets and Accumulation: 1870-1950," NBER Working Papers 7145, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kose, Ayhan & Prasad, Eswar & Rogoff, Kenneth & Wei, Shang-Jin, 2009.
"Financial Globalization and Economic Policies,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7117, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Richard E. Baldwin & Rikard Forslid, 1996.
"Trade Liberalization and Endogenous Growth: A q-Theory Approach,"
NBER Working Papers
5549, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Baldwin, Richard E. & Forslid, Rikard, 2000. "Trade liberalisation and endogenous growth: A q-theory approach," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 497-517, April.
- Baldwin, Richard & Forslid, Rikard, 1996. "Trade Liberalization and Endogenous Growth: A q-Theory Approach," CEPR Discussion Papers 1397, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rao, B. Bhaskara & Tamazian, Artur & Vadlamannati, Krishna Chaitanya, 2008.
"Growth Effects of a Comprehensive Measure of Globalization with Country Specific Time Series Data,"
7917, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- B. Bhaskara Rao & Artur Tamazian & Krishna Chaitanya Vadlamannati, 2011. "Growth effects of a comprehensive measure of globalization with country-specific time series data," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(5), pages 551-568.
- Chris Papageorgiou & Subir Lall & Florence Jaumotte, 2008. "Rising Income Inequality," IMF Working Papers 08/185, International Monetary Fund.
- Bhandari, Amit Kumar & Heshmati, Almas, 2005. "Measurement of Globalization and Its Variations Among Countries, Regions and Over Time," IZA Discussion Papers 1578, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Axel Dreher, 2002. "Does Globalization Affect Growth?," Development and Comp Systems 0210004, EconWPA, revised 04 Feb 2003.
- Joseph P. Joyce, 2006. "Promises Made, Promises Broken: A Model Of Imf Program Implementation," Economics and Politics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(3), pages 339-365, November.
- Pinelopi Koujianou Goldberg & Nina Pavcnik, 2007.
"Distributional Effects of Globalization in Developing Countries,"
NBER Working Papers
12885, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pinelopi Koujianou Goldberg & Nina Pavcnik, 2007. "Distributional Effects of Globalization in Developing Countries," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 45(1), pages 39-82, March.
- M. Ayhan Kose & Eswar Prasad & Kenneth Rogoff & Shang-Jin Wei, 2006. "Financial Globalization," IMF Working Papers 06/189, International Monetary Fund.
- Arribas, Iván & Pérez, Francisco & Tortosa-Ausina, Emili, 2009. "Measuring Globalization of International Trade: Theory and Evidence," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 127-145, January.
- Adams, Samuel, 2008. "Globalization and income inequality: Implications for intellectual property rights," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 725-735.
- Sumie & Mototsugu Fukushige, 2007.
"Globalization and Economic Inequality in the Short and Long Run: The Case of South Korea 1975-1995,"
Discussion Papers in Economics and Business
07-43, Osaka University, Graduate School of Economics and Osaka School of International Public Policy (OSIPP).
- Sato, Sumie & Fukushige, Mototsugu, 2009. "Globalization and economic inequality in the short and long run: The case of South Korea 1975-1995," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 62-68, January.
- Globalization Index in Wikipedia English ne '')
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Adrian Ghencea).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.