Does Government Spending Crowd Out Donations of Time and Money?
AbstractThe authors examine data on giving and volunteering to determine whether public provision of social services and other public goods affects donations of time and money and provides evidence of crowding out. They find a negative and statistically significant relationship between government spending and donations of money and time. They also find that volunteers have demographic and other characteristics that are associated with high values of time and money.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by in its journal Public Finance Review.
Volume (Year): 32 (2004)
Issue (Month): 5 (September)
Contact details of provider:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lorenzo Cappellari & Paolo Ghinetti & Gilberto Turati, 2007.
"On Time and Money Donations,"
DISCE - Quaderni dell'Istituto di Economia dell'Impresa e del Lavoro, UniversitÃ Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Dipartimenti e Istituti di Scienze Economiche (DISCE)
ieil0047, UniversitÃ Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Dipartimenti e Istituti di Scienze Economiche (DISCE).
- Cappellari, Lorenzo & Ghinetti, Paolo & Turati, Gilberto, 2011. "On time and money donations," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 853-867.
- Franz Hackl & Martin Halla & Gerald J. Pruckner, 2009.
"Volunteering and the State,"
NRN working papers
2009-01, The Austrian Center for Labor Economics and the Analysis of the Welfare State, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Hackl, Franz & Halla, Martin & Pruckner, Gerald J., 2009. "Volunteering and the State," IZA Discussion Papers 4016, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Franz Hackl & Martin Halla & Gerald J. Pruckner, 2009. "Volunteering and the State," Economics working papers, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria 2009-01, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (SAGE Publications).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.